Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Coombs Parrot Sanctuary Future Uncertain

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Coombs Parrot Sanctuary Future Uncertain

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:56 pm

y'es it was a massive undertaking and they never really had enough help and so many people gave so much of themselves. They havent even been able to answer every email yet for prospective owners, so if it takes a while to update their site it is understandable. I am sure they will get to it when they think its necessary.

if you want to know how to donate, here is Grey Havens facebook page with a donate button. It will also tell you were some of the parrots went.

https://www.facebook.com/GreyhavenBirds ... CH&fref=nf

you can also donate throught this link.

https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charitie ... sanctuary/

Here is the website today which they are still updating with the parrots.

http://greyhaven.bc.ca/adoption-today/for-adoption
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:56 am

If you ask me, the updating is something that they should have done from the very beginning. I know it takes human resources to do this but I am also sure there are lots of people who would not volunteer to work at a shelter but would be more than happy to update a website (we always got lots of people willing to help 'from home' but very few who wanted to do any real work :lol: )
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:54 pm

it is hard to run a rescue and Grey Haven was doing well running one. Now they have heped and given so much of themselves to help with someone elses problem they deserve appreciation for all they do. its very easy to say they should do this or that but we are not there. They are updating at the speed that is working for them and I have nothing but admiration and respect for them and their efforts.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:36 am

Yes, nobody better than me knows how hard it is to run a rescue! But I was not disparaging them, Seagoatdeb. I was merely pointing out that, in my personal opinion and given the fact that they need not only donations but also volunteers, they shot themselves in the foot by not establishing an update page on their website. And I am drawing on previous rescue experience and common sense on that. We had a program at Waggin' Tails where people would donate on a monthly basis a set amount, 'Sponsor a Dog' and the constant fundraisers we had, some just in general and some for a specific purpose, and it was plain to see that, when people received or were able to access updated information on the projects or the particular animal for which we were asking for money, we got much better results.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:15 pm

You might want to contact them and suggest things that will help.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:20 pm

Found more news about all the parrots from Coombs.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3887533

PS. There are interesting comments made by posters under the article - personally, I agree that charging $500 for a parrot is counterproductive considering the huge amount of birds they have for adoption. It's not that I think the price itself is too high under normal circumstances but, when you talk about 33 grays being cared for by two people, you are talking about birds that are NOT happy!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby dragonlady2 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:30 am

Just my take on it. Greyhaven owes a reported $180,000 in vet bills. None of the parrots had cages and given the number of macaws and cockatoos, the costs would be prohibitive, even with the donations received. Then there is the cost of food and housing to be factored in. The vet that is closely involved with the rescue and was part of the initial decision to participate has estimated that her travel time and vetting costs is in the hundreds of thousands. These birds were not well. I agree, that housing this many birds together is not a great option. However, I am sure they had many people "offering" to take/adopt the parrots. This is probably an effort to ensure that the potential home is truly a home and not a flipper or breeder and that the person taking one of these birds can truly afford them and their care, as I suspect continued care will be necessary. They are certainly better off now than they were, even if these temporary conditions aren't optimal.
dragonlady2
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, conures, senegal, australian king, plum head, eclectus,Barrabands, parrotlets, canaries

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Yes, there is the consideration of the expenses and, although they did get quite a lot of money in donations and I am sure that many of the vets and clinics, if not all, have donated their services (I know the SPCA vets did not charge them anything), I am also sure that they still need more money. But, in my mind, it seems unfair to hold the birds hostage for a large adoption fee when the conditions they are been kept are not anywhere near ideal. The truth of the matter is that, as you pointed out, Dragonlady, these birds are not well and they are not helping them get better by keeping them in foster homes or a rescue situation, they need their own home with their own human. And, although it is true that if you don't have $500 to spend you couldn't vet a bird properly, the human mind is a funny thing when it comes to stuff like that because people would balk at paying that kind of money for a bird in iffy condition but they would never hesitate in paying three times as much to treat their own beloved pet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:46 pm

$500 Canadian is only $372 dollars American. They are charging a very low price for these parrots.I agree with the charge, you have to make sure that they are real homes they are going into.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:37 pm

Do you really believe that whether people pay or not makes any difference in the care they provide the animal? I don't. And I base this in my rescue work. I know people who paid over a thousand dollars (American) for a dog and took terrible care of it and I know people who got animals for free and are excellent caregivers. Money does not equal love. I don't charge a single penny for any animal that I rehome (even when I spent good money on them just so they can be adopted) but I do make sure the home is good and, so far, I have only been disappointed by one single party (a couple of friends) that I knew from before so I didn't check vet references or did a home inspection (I learned from this mistake and no longer take it for granted that because somebody is a relative or a good friend will be, also, a good animal caregiver).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic