Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

25 Year Old Male Umbrella Cockatoo Biting

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: 25 Year Old Male Umbrella Cockatoo Biting

Postby Bird woman » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:44 pm

It's a lot easier staying up on your progress with Nigel and helping if it's all together. This thread said he was eating fruits and veggies now and the latest thread says you are having problems . Sometimes they do eat well then regress especially if there bored with there selection. Are you getting him weighed regularly? BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby S Hahn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:59 pm

The reason i put the new thread out about his eating habits is so i can learn more about feeding him as well. He will eat some fruit and a couple other veggies here and there but not consistent. I have read a lot of different web sites and they are all pretty different. I did three years of homework and i can honesty say i was not ready for a parrot like Nigel so i am trying to become a better owner as well. He is super picky but the more and more i spend with Nigel and get advice we both are doing better since joining this forum, so thanks and i hope i get more.
S Hahn
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 25 year old Male Umbrella Cockatoo

1 year old Love Bird
Flight: No

Postby S Hahn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:02 pm

sorry bird woman i forgot to answer one of your questions, i have been bringing him to the vet every three weeks since he was in bad shape and he has been weighing him every-time we go to the vet. i do not own a scale but i am going to buy one this week, seems like its a good tool to have with birds.
S Hahn
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 25 year old Male Umbrella Cockatoo

1 year old Love Bird
Flight: No

Postby liz » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:47 am

Myrtle requested her own place setting at the table. As long as we kept her plate full we had not problem. She ate things that she would not have eaten if given in just her feeding station.
My 86 year old aunt and I are the only humans in the house. We set up a place setting for Rainbow on the other side of the table and it brought back memories to her of when she would eat with her "Grandma".

I hope to have my big computer set up soon. There is a picture of Rainbow traveling on her walker.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:48 pm

S Hahn wrote:sorry bird woman i forgot to answer one of your questions, i have been bringing him to the vet every three weeks since he was in bad shape and he has been weighing him every-time we go to the vet. i do not own a scale but i am going to buy one this week, seems like its a good tool to have with birds.

Is there a medical need for the vet to see him every three weeks? Because going to the vet is terribly stressful to birds and there is nothing worse than stress when it comes to birds...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:06 am

It would be a lot cheaper to buy a scale than take him to the vet to be weighed.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training