Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What do you use as a training treat

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

What do you use as a training treat

Postby AmyBullock » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:49 pm

I have a Pineapple GCC, and I just found you, and want to start teaching her some tricks. I can't seem to find a treat that motivates her. What do you use? She actually seems to like the praise for a good job better than a treat.
AmyBullock
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: What do you use as a training treat

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:10 am

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:38 pm

If you don't free-feed any protein food (as you shouldn't with GCCs), any seed can be a high value item.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:26 am

I have found my caique Tupi likes sunflower seed kernals.
I buy a bag of them ready shelled for him.

He is fed fruit and veg and pellets and a seed diet without sunflower in it, which is probably why he likes them so much.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby AmyBullock » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:35 pm

So after reading the food management section of Michaels book, I think the problem is that I am over feeding my girl. She is allowed free access to pellets all the time. She just turned a year old, so maybe time to cut that back to measured feedings to get her interested in treats.
AmyBullock
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Conure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:39 am

Well, conures should never be free-fed any sort of protein food because their natural diet is mostly fruits so a change in her diet would be very beneficial to her both in the short and the long term. But, I am afraid that I don't agree with Michael's food management method... I understand why he does it but a pet bird is not a working bird and I don't agree with depriving any animal of food unless there is a medical reason for it. Birds metabolisms are so fast that avian vets don't ever make a bird fast before a blood test or even surgery so keeping them hungry is really not healthy for them. It's unnecessarily stressful... The truth is that this is a problem that is easily solved to everybody's satisfaction by free-feeding a low protein food and reserving the high protein for dinner (which, for a sun conure, should never be really 'high' protein, anyway), saving the highest value item to be used only as rewards for training. This way, the bird is always more than happy to work for their favorite treat and, at the same time, they never go hungry.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training