Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How can I make the good relationship with my amazon parrot?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: How can I make the good relationship with my amazon parrot?

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:03 pm

This is the link, Amazons especially can give you a very bad bite when hormonal
https://studentswithbirds.wordpress.com ... -mean-sex/
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:45 am

ParrotsForLife wrote:This is the link, Amazons especially can give you a very bad bite when hormonal
https://studentswithbirds.wordpress.com ... -mean-sex/

Good link !
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:53 pm

ParrotsForLife wrote:I actually have a link about that Pajarita ill get it now, Oscar doesn't let me touch his head yet and probably never will but I can touch his neck and cheeks and back for when I flip him on his back when playing.

Amazons only lay on their back with their feet up when they are fighting a larger bird's attacks and have been cornered so, if I were you, I would not do it - you are giving him the opposite impression of what you want to give because you are telling him you are not a friend but a larger, more powerful enemy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:06 pm

Pajarita wrote:
ParrotsForLife wrote:I actually have a link about that Pajarita ill get it now, Oscar doesn't let me touch his head yet and probably never will but I can touch his neck and cheeks and back for when I flip him on his back when playing.

Amazons only lay on their back with their feet up when they are fighting a larger bird's attacks and have been cornered so, if I were you, I would not do it - you are giving him the opposite impression of what you want to give because you are telling him you are not a friend but a larger, more powerful enemy.

Oh really so maybe I should stop until we are bonded friends, I guess then it would be ok because some lay on their backs when getting head scratches.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:39 am

Some parrots have no problem laying on their backs and some even like it and do it on their own: conures, caiques and even some toos and macaws. The conures do it because that is how they feed when they are babies in the nest, the caiques do it because they are the ultimate clown of the parrot world and some toos and some macaws do it because of the deeper bond they develop with humans but I don't believe that they are actually physically comfortable doing it (at least, they never look like they are comfortable)... not like the conures or the caiques. Amazons are not touchy feely birds. They like and even love people but in their own way - which is a more detached one. They like to perch on your shoulder and would spend hours preening your hair very softly but they don't really like to have their body touched unless they are hormonal.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:08 pm

Oscar doesn't mind but ill stop until we are bonded so he knows I'm not trying to overpower him
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:52 am

It is best to go slow, with the understanding that the bird is scared of it new environment as well as the new people that they are surrounded by it takes time to learn to trust people that you don't know. And it takes people that understand how much it takes to learn that the human can be trusted.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training