Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Clipping Mango's wings

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Clipping Mango's wings

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:48 pm

Sorry this would have been longer but my iPad died and now I have to rewrite it all, Well Short story is Mango never goes to bed at night and I cant be chasing him around all the time its too stressful on him and I am sure he would be much happier in a Aviary but these days you can never be sure he would have the right owner and be fed a good diet and I am selfish and wouldn't let him go even if I could find a good home and I know he is capable of trusting me and I don't need him to be fully tame but he could at least just let me care for him and go to bed at night.So thats why I am considering clipping him again to get him back to the way he was and work with him more to at least get him in the cage at night and most of you know I like my birds flighted so they can me physically and mentally healthy and get to fly outdoors so he wouldn't be clipped forever.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Clipping Mango's wings

Postby Bird woman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:05 pm

Brandon, sounds like you have had a stressful week, take a deep breath and think things through before you make a decision about mango. Is it the new bird taking your time because I've never heard you in such mood . Mango is probably acting out due to a new bird in the house. I am the queen of crazy households with new birds coming in too quick and changing the flock dynamics. :shock: {pajirta warned me} Most of the time for the worse for months and months until things finally settle down. Sometimes , well most of the time the other birds get jealous and don't understand attention being paid to the new bird. Give some extra time and love to mango to reassure he's not being swapped out for another. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:23 pm

The bird doesn't want to do something that you want it to do. Clipping its wings will not make it want to do those things any more. Instead the bird will experience internal agony with being forced to do what it doesn't want. You may be happy you forced what you want out of it but this is not a mutual nor a loving relationship. On the other hand, if you treat flying away as feedback for your own failure to behave in a way that the bird is content with (the proof is in the voluntary cooperation), then it gives you the opportunity to learn how to behave the right way with the bird that gets what you want in a way the bird wants. This way the friendship is real and mutual.

Taming, training, and management of motivation are the mechanisms for achieving that properly. They are explained in great detail in my book.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:18 pm

Bird woman wrote:Brandon, sounds like you have had a stressful week, take a deep breath and think things through before you make a decision about mango. Is it the new bird taking your time because I've never heard you in such mood . Mango is probably acting out due to a new bird in the house. I am the queen of crazy households with new birds coming in too quick and changing the flock dynamics. :shock: {pajirta warned me} Most of the time for the worse for months and months until things finally settle down. Sometimes , well most of the time the other birds get jealous and don't understand attention being paid to the new bird. Give some extra time and love to mango to reassure he's not being swapped out for another. BW

I have been spending a lot of time with Oscar and now we will have a Female 4 year old grey coming tomorrow for Adoption and the owner wants to do a house check.The reason for him acting up would be my fault because I gave him too much freedom and allowed him to sleep outside the cage and now I am getting them back to a normal routine so I should definitely wait a while before making a decision and he might go back to behaving as normal.Thanks :thumbsup:
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:25 pm

Michael wrote:The bird doesn't want to do something that you want it to do. Clipping its wings will not make it want to do those things any more. Instead the bird will experience internal agony with being forced to do what it doesn't want. You may be happy you forced what you want out of it but this is not a mutual nor a loving relationship. On the other hand, if you treat flying away as feedback for your own failure to behave in a way that the bird is content with (the proof is in the voluntary cooperation), then it gives you the opportunity to learn how to behave the right way with the bird that gets what you want in a way the bird wants. This way the friendship is real and mutual.

Taming, training, and management of motivation are the mechanisms for achieving that properly. They are explained in great detail in my book.

I honestly don't care about having a relationship with him or train, I don't think he is the kind of species for all that and I just wanna care for him and love him but he doesn't need to give me anything in return :) If he had such a large enclosure like an Aviary with heating I wouldn't have to worry about stressing him and I think I should just leave him for a few weeks to settle him back into a normal routine of being caged.I understand what your saying and my intentions of clipping were not to force anything but like I said I'm selfish and wouldn't want to rehome him to someone with more space for him to just be a bird.If I did clip I can admit it would be easier but it just doesn't sound right and thats why I talk to people about my problems before making any decisions.Thanks for your reply and have a Happy New Year :)
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Kinda thought something like that might be going on! You were starting to sound like me when the fids are overwhelming me. Take a deep breath and put some music on, seems to put all of us in a better space. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Bird woman wrote:Kinda thought something like that might be going on! You were starting to sound like me when the fids are overwhelming me. Take a deep breath and put some music on, seems to put all of us in a better space. BW

I think I should wait a couple of weeks so he gets used to being back in a cage, The door is open now and he hasn't come out all day and I'm starting to think maybe he doesn't wanna have a bad experience every time he steps out of that cage.Poor baby :(
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:36 pm

I couldn't even work with him in a smaller room he would just fly
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:54 pm

Brandon, he gets away from you because, in the past, you have forced him to accept things that stressed him out. Michael is 100% correct, when a bird flies away from us and refuses to do something that should be something he likes (dinner and a nice roosting perch when dusk falls is way up there in the list of 'goodies' for parrots!), it's not the bird's fault, it's ours for doing something that made the bird distrust us so it's always us who need the 'readjustment' not the birds. If you clip him now, you will be compounding the mistake and reinforcing his belief that you cannot be trusted - it's not really going to solve anything, it will make things easier for you right now but, in the long run, it will make things worse. I am sure that if you leave him alone (no taking him out to the mall/playground/public transportation/etc, no forcing him to bathe when he doesn't want to, no clipping him again, etc), turn off the lights when the sun is setting and put his seed dinner in his cage, he will go in (of course, for this to work, you can't free-feed protein).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:09 pm

Pajarita wrote:Brandon, he gets away from you because, in the past, you have forced him to accept things that stressed him out. Michael is 100% correct, when a bird flies away from us and refuses to do something that should be something he likes (dinner and a nice roosting perch when dusk falls is way up there in the list of 'goodies' for parrots!), it's not the bird's fault, it's ours for doing something that made the bird distrust us so it's always us who need the 'readjustment' not the birds. If you clip him now, you will be compounding the mistake and reinforcing his belief that you cannot be trusted - it's not really going to solve anything, it will make things easier for you right now but, in the long run, it will make things worse. I am sure that if you leave him alone (no taking him out to the mall/playground/public transportation/etc, no forcing him to bathe when he doesn't want to, no clipping him again, etc), turn off the lights when the sun is setting and put his seed dinner in his cage, he will go in (of course, for this to work, you can't free-feed protein).

He hasn't been out in a long long time even though I did harness train him lol so thats not a problem he's not completely untame.I think I already said what was wrong and told Bird Woman about the situation and he probably just needs a few weeks to get back to a normal routine because remember he was never caged.And you cant bribe Mango with food its literally impossible lol if he wants to stay out he will especially when he's already eating all day.No wings are being clipped I really believe its because of having "too much freedom" and btw he only gets seeds as treats its not part of his diet most of the time he would have pellets for dinner and fresh foods during the day but I'm working on a mash recipe.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Next

Return to Indoor Freeflight