Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Desensitizing

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Desensitizing

Postby Emmadee » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:09 am

I am a bit confused about this. So my :senegal: parrot never bites (while in the cage), and I can (yes CAN) touch him. Here's where it doesn't make sense: before I touch him he always squaks for a few seconds but stops. But the big issue is that when he is out of the cage, he is unmanageable and screams and bites and won't let anyone near him.
Emmadee
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Severe Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Desensitizing

Postby liz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:59 am

Welcome to the forum.

I think he is not getting enough out of cage time. When he is out he is afraid that you are going to put him back in his cage. When he is out ignore him. Be with him without making one on one contact. Do not feed him out of cage. He should go back in when he is hungry.

Myrtle is so afraid of being caged that she will not go into the cage for food but just go hungry and thirsty. The above method does not work with her. She is so fearful even after being free for 6 years that she will not go into a cage that has a door.

This is just what I would do and others will give you more info.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Bird woman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:27 am

Exactly my thoughts Liz , needs to be free more and maybe a treat in the cage before you want him To go in. Make it positive not negitave experience.BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Emmadee » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Thank you Liz, I will try that :)
Emmadee
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Severe Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:45 pm

They need, at a very minimum, four hours of out-of-cage time every single day.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training