Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Aroma from a BFA nasal apertures

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Aroma from a BFA nasal apertures

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:32 pm

Pajarita wrote:No, species that use pheromones to attract mates, identity their gender or their family so as to avoid inbreeding (as gulls do) have a highly developed sense of smell and parrots don't. It would not make any sense for nature to give them a way of attracting mates that can only be used when the animal is next to the other...

I have never been able to find any scientific source that would explain where, exactly, amazons' smell comes from or what it's for but the consensus is that they smell sweet (some people call it 'fruity') when they are clean and well-fed (lots of fruits and veggies) and musky when they are dirty and/or badly fed (as in high protein food mostly).

All parrots have a smell to them, just like any other animal on earth does, some stronger than others. Amazons, quakers and macaws smell stronger than other species but they all do...

I'd have to disagree with that because my Mam and another person said Oscar smells like a musky smell but as a nice smell and he's been on a great diet and he is only 6 months old and very clean.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:57 pm

Brandon, you just got Oscar a few days ago so how can you possibly know for a fact that he has been on a 'great diet'? I bet he has been mostly fed pellets or seeds after been handfed a high protein soy-based formula for months - breeders are not known for feeding organic gloop/chop,/mash, it's too expensive and too much work - and it's not as if they actually care, is it?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:47 pm

Pajarita wrote:Brandon, you just got Oscar a few days ago so how can you possibly know for a fact that he has been on a 'great diet'? I bet he has been mostly fed pellets or seeds after been handfed a high protein soy-based formula for months - breeders are not known for feeding organic gloop/chop,/mash, it's too expensive and too much work - and it's not as if they actually care, is it?

Pajarita you obviously haven't read anything I said about him and about 2 weeks is hardly a few days ago :lol: like I already said before the Breeder wasn't actually a Breeder so wasn't expecting eggs and he hand reared the chicks and had them on a good diet once weaned especially Oscar since he was still there a few weeks after the last chick left and he was fed a mash that he gives his two adults and a few pellets and little seed , I doubt he knows what gloop is lol.So Pajarita you were saying how could I possibly know all this well theres your answer.If you need to tell me anything again PM me instead of continuing this on somebody else's thread I wouldn't like if people went off topic on my threads so don't do it here.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby alienlady » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:00 am

I too have been unable to find a reason for this smell. Which is why I'm curious about it, there's no need to argue about it.I'm perfectly happy reading others opinions after all that is why I asked. :D
Meanwhile I will consider the theory that the sweet smell is to hypnotise me into a false sense of security somewhat like the hypnotic snake in Jungle Book! :lol: :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:47 am

:lol: Luring you closer so they can bite lol I have never been bitten yet and Oscar is a very good boy and I don't think ill ever get bitten later in his life.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby alienlady » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:22 pm

It's a theory :lol: I wish you luck with not being bitten.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:52 pm

alienlady wrote:It's a theory :lol: I wish you luck with not being bitten.

Thanks lol, I will watch out for it when he's older and hormonal and just stay out of his way if he seems grumpy and watch for body language and just use verbal interaction.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:37 pm

As any vet will tell you if you work with or hang around with animals or birds, sooner or later you will get bitten, pooped on or peed on or scratched.
Our vet and her husband were in competition to see who got bit by the most different species.
As they often went to Chester zoo it was escalating by the minute. :lol:
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:11 pm

Well it all depends on the individual bird lol like Amazons are known to bite and cause serious damage but I also have other species who have never bitten me and a Female Cockatiel who wouldn't bite no matter what you do and a Male who has bitten me because he hates getting his nails filed.My African grey that I had 8 years could do a lot of damage but never did to me though has nipped me quite a few times and was known to be aggressive at times.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Has anyone searched about this smell? I was going to just didn't get around to doing it.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species