Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My African grey wont step up

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

My African grey wont step up

Postby Hkad1990 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Hey guys, i recently got myself an african grey she was 11 weeks when i got her and I've had her for about 3 weeks. She's really used to me and is very tame will let me scratch and pat her anywhere even under wings and loves it but simply refuses to step up at all on my hand but will easily step up and down onto a stick if im holding it. I know it's only 3 weeks but i feel like i already have a veey strong bond with kiwi and she would not try to bite me at all other then softly nibbling on my fingers, i would be over the moon if she would step up onto my hand and know she will only have more fun. Please help guys
Hkad1990
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: African grey
Flight: No

Re: My African grey wont step up

Postby IAmStarby » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:58 pm

Have you tried target training her? If not, I'd recommend it. Then you can target her onto your hand while using the "step up" command, and reward her generously if she does. Then keep targeting her onto her hand with that command, and it won't take long before she doesn't need to be targeted. She probably just doesn't know that your hand is a reliable perch yet!
IAmStarby
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Buderigar, and African Grey
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:30 pm

You have a little baby that is in a strange house with a strange person and three weeks is way too soon. I know you say that she allows you to touch her everywhere (even in places where you should never touch a parrot, mind you) but all babies do that and it doesn't really mean she has bonded to you. You need to be patient and spend a lot of time with her and not necessarily touching her all over (Grays are not big on having their body touched unless they are hormonal so it might be this handling that is preventing her from giving you her complete trust). She is also way too young to start training her to target (this is a baby!). Offer her soft foods twice daily and make sure you 'eat' with her. Spend time just chilling together (you can put her on your lap while you watch TV or whatever). Give her a treat or two when she is with you -not as a reward for doing anything but just as a way of showing her that you love her and want to be her friend. And, offer her your open hand for her to step up (palm up) and see if she does it -she is very young and might feel not too sure of perching on a finger or edge of hand.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby captainjack » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:53 am

I think you nedd more time to wait
captainjack
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Return to Taming & Basic Training