Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Carers Diet

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Carers Diet

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:24 am

While getting your birds to eat healthy don't neglect your own diet.
You need to eat healthy too so you are around and fit enough for as long as possible to look after your flock.
We all look at the best way to feed our pets and very often neglect our own diet. :lol:
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo
Flight: Yes

Re: Carers Diet

Postby Bird woman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:54 am

Are you picking my brain this morning or what :shock: was just assessing my crappy eating habits while chopping veggies for the fids! :roll: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:26 am

:o Spooky.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:48 pm

The cashiers at the supermarket all comment on the very healthy, large amount of produce I buy (most stuff organic and seven of everything; fruits, veggies and greens) as well as all the organic whole grains and I always tell them that it's all for my birds and that we eat the few crappy items mixed in the large order -like frozen pizza! :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:18 am

Interesting thought. If you come at some of your eating habits from the parrots end, I think that you can't help but to at least begin to improve your own diet. Parrots do not like to eat alone, that started when they were being fed by their parents and with the right company the sharing of food is relaxing and enjoyable making for better digestion as well as a social and bonding experience and who better to share these times with than your parrot.

When a parrot is learning to eat the right foods from its parents the parent brings the food to the young ones and shows them what it looks like and once the young ones are willing to try to take it from the parent they share the food, this is useful when we want to improve on our parrots diet, especially in fresh and raw fruits, vegetables and tree nuts and eating even small portions of these foods with your parrot during this time will help your diet as well.

I rarely get to eat anything alone as all of my parrots want their share of whatever it is that I am eating and if I don't comply quickly they will scream at me demanding at least one bite, they so love to share whatever I have and that can lead to healthier snacking if you are into snacking.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:08 am

Rainbow flutters her little wings like a baby begging when she wants what I have. Myrtle prefers to steal from my plate.

I have noticed that when I eat even if it is something they don't want they will go to their food at the same time.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet