Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Advice needed for interesting questions about IRN

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Advice needed for interesting questions about IRN

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:44 am

I noticed you have had an IRN and Alexandrine in the past.
You therefore should have a fairly good idea of what is involved in keeping them.

Waking them up when you get in from work around midnight to 1am wont work. Its the equivalent of a working Mum getting in and waking her sleeping baby up to spend time with him.

Occasionaly before I retired I had to stay at work late. My husband used to see to my parrots and cover them when I wasn't there, but you are on your own so wont be able to do this .
You could slip a 3 sided cover over the cage when you got in before putting the light on so the bird could wake up with the dawn naturally, but the room lights wouldn't disturb it.
But on its own you have a species that flocks being alone for long hours, which could end up with a bird screaming for attention everytime you appear and making a row in an apartment which won't endear you to the neighbours.
My Daughter has a blue ringneck that she was given for this reason.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo
Flight: Yes

Postby mmeager » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:17 am

This is a very good topic, something that also weighs on my mind heavily.
We have an Indian Ringneck, his name is Zoltin, and he is still very young, I am not hugely experienced, but have learned so much about these birds over time.
Our work hours are very long, and often unpredictable, I can never say what time I will be home on a day to day basis. both my wife and I start work at 4:30AM, which is great for Zoltin, because I can assure that his night time cover is taken off before we go to work, that way Zoltin receives natural sunrise. My wife works close to home, and drops in to check on Zoltin every morning, at around 9-10Am. After that we could be home anytime from 1:30pm to 5Pm, (either one of us will be home between those hrs anyway). Unfortunately we never know what time we will finish until that day. Irrespective of that Zoltin will always have an absolute minimum of 3hrs out of cage time with us on a daily basis. Generally much more. He is out of cage with us from midday every weekend. Baring in mind that life has its obligations! And weekends can be taken up, in which case we allow Zoltin the maximum out of cage time with us as possible. (It actually gets ridicules! We have to leave events or tell family or friends that we really have to go so we can get home for our bird!!! Most don't get it!) Zoltin's bed time is around 8:30pm, currently we are in daylight savings time, so the sun begins to set around this time, his cage is in our lounge room, so lounge room lights go off, and Zoltin gets natural sunset. When its dark Zoltin's cover goes on his cage so he is in dark, we generally have no need to turn the lounge room lights on after this, but if we must we can. (TV is always on during this time, which generally gives us all the light we need, and we usually need to get to bed fairly early). So far everything seems to be working well, but we have a long way to go yet! We need to watch Zoltin over time vary carefully, and if needed the consideration of another bird as a companion for him may actually be a necessity rather than a choice. And I will tell you why. My son is 16, so he is home now due to school holidays, he has his own flat downstairs. So we know that when we are not at home, Zoltin wont shut up! He screams a lot, which worries me, because he is bored and feeling lonely, irrespective of the toys he has in his cage. On the weekends we try to get a sleep in, Zoltin wakes early, and is very noisy until we get up, then he will be more quiet and settled, because he has company. Although Zoltin's routine is not perfect, he is very forgiving, but if we stray too far from routine, that's when we will get bitten, that's when Zoltin becomes the household terrorist. (In those times my wife has nicknamed him isis! I just tell her that isis is actually a beautiful Egyptian Goddess, so thanks for his compliment!!!). Otherwise Zoltin is a very very good bird.

Aside from a very basic run down of our life with an IRN, a very big point that I want to make is that a bird, (any bird) will ultimately effect every part of your life, in fact they will even run your life to an extent. Meaning everything we do in our lives your bird must be seriously considered. So that is what we need to be prepared for if we choose to accept a bird into our lives, if you don't think you can do that, no matter how much you want a bird, don't get one!

Now for what I have learned about an IRN in particular. I have never owned another species of bird, so I can only speak of my personnel experience living with an IRN, I've had 2 so far.
The IRN are pure silly fun! They will make you laugh till you have tears running from your eyes! They are amazing acrobats, and they will show you trick after trick. Their intelligence will blow your mind, they are extremely quick to pick up on training and lessons. Their little brains seem to run a hundred miles an hour. They will be involved in something intensely until the next minute they will be involved in the next thing, and this goes on! But in contrast if they have their minds set on something then God help you! You had better figure out a distraction or a solution otherwise watch out! Yes they can be very individual, they can play and be very comfortable on their own, however they also need as much of your attention as possible to enable them to be comfortable on their own, if that makes any sense, otherwise they can very quickly revert to a wild state, which would concern me if your IRN spent many hours by itself, along with the calls of its own kind from the wild. We have many wild parrots and birds where we live, and Zoltin does react to their presence. And will try to interact with them, I certainly wouldn't want to lapse in my attention to Zoltin on a daily basis, otherwise I believe we would be in trouble. I must say that I don't think the IRN is the easiest bird to deal with, I think they are very head strong, and require a lot of time, understanding and patience.
I know this has been long. And there is much more I could say as well! But I hope I have shed a little light from my personal experience with the IRN.
mmeager
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ring Neck

Postby mmeager » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:26 am

My apologies, you have already owned an IRN, so I'm sure you are already aware of everything I said last post! Just wanted to give you a run down of our experience whilst also working long hours.
mmeager
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ring Neck

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:19 pm

"It actually gets ridiculous! We have to leave events or tell family or friends that we really have to go so we can get home for our bird!!! Most don't get it!" :lol: Welcome to the club! I am lucky in that everybody is already used to this because I am an 'equal opportunity maniac' (I've had parrots for many years but I am as much of a maniac with my dogs and cats) and nobody says anything to me any more (they know better!) but I well know they all think I am crazy -a 'good' kind of crazy, according to my children :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:27 pm

It's actually very convenient at times to have that crazy card in our arsenal just like the senile one and the female card they all are very useful at times. The art is knowing when to play the card. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:27 pm

:lol: Oh, no, no 'senile' card for me! But I do use the 'old' card, especially with my grandkids. And, I've never used the 'woman' card and I am not planning on doing it, either (I actually believe we are better than men -sorry, guys, nothing personal!)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Pajarita wrote::lol: Oh, no, no 'senile' card for me! But I do use the 'old' card, especially with my grandkids. And, I've never used the 'woman' card and I am not planning on doing it, either (I actually believe we are better than men -sorry, guys, nothing personal!)

I have always thought equality was overated. I much prefer being superior to men. :lol:
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:36 pm

At my age I'll pull whatever dam card works. , always careful to never show my whole hand. Are all you men paying attention to these posts ? :lol: having a bird for a companion is looking better and better all the time isn't it. :lol: :P :lol: :P : Funny things about birds they will do with as much time provided for them on a regular schedule and be pretty content as long as it remains constant and consistent but us women it's never enough or way to much! BW :swaying:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Rmoses » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:43 pm

Bird woman wrote:At my age I'll pull whatever dam card works. , always careful to never show my whole hand. Are all you men paying attention to these posts ? :lol: having a bird for a companion is looking better and better all the time isn't it. :lol: :P :lol: :P : Funny things about birds they will do with as much time provided for them on a regular schedule and be pretty content as long as it remains constant and consistent but us women it's never enough or way to much! BW :swaying:

You don't have to play the old and crazy cards, the way you hold your hand the whole table can see what you have :lol: :lol:
Pajarita, I'm still thinking of a nice way to reply to your post. :o :lol: :lol:
Actually, I 'm glad both of you are on this forum. Enjoy your posts.
Rick :pirate:
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:25 am

:lol: You don't need to measure your words with me, Rick. I am very fortunate in that I have a very thick skin and hardly ever take offense so don't pick and choose so you can be nice, just lay on me!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Parrot Species