Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Burns or bumblefoot?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Burns or bumblefoot?

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:02 am

Before we had the woodland I had a contact with an Arborist who supplies firewood. He often trimmed or felled trees in peoples gardens that had not been sprayed. I used to get suitable branches from him at firewood prices.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:11 pm

We need to trim branches off the backyard trees every summer so I use those but I also get branches from trees that grow in the forests on the side of highways because those are never sprayed with anything.

I was the one that said I would not use anything on the bird's feet but not because I think that vit E oil is toxic or anything but because I don't like to use anything oily on them. I also don't know if it would help heal irritation because putting oil on something would not allow a scab to form and it would seem to me that a scab is most desirable in the case of an abrasion. Vit E oil is mostly used as a moisturizer but, if the birds' feet are too dry (you would see scaling on them which I did not see on the picture you posted), it's a dietary problem and, although rubbing oil helps, it's only taking care of the symptom and not the real problem.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Pajarita wrote:We need to trim branches off the backyard trees every summer so I use those but I also get branches from trees that grow in the forests on the side of highways because those are never sprayed with anything.

I was the one that said I would not use anything on the bird's feet but not because I think that vit E oil is toxic or anything but because I don't like to use anything oily on them. I also don't know if it would help heal irritation because putting oil on something would not allow a scab to form and it would seem to me that a scab is most desirable in the case of an abrasion. Vit E oil is mostly used as a moisturizer but, if the birds' feet are too dry (you would see scaling on them which I did not see on the picture you posted), it's a dietary problem and, although rubbing oil helps, it's only taking care of the symptom and not the real problem.

You are lucky to be able to collect branches near the highways. Our councils spray the edges of the road with weed killer and I would never trust it not to have drifted to any road side trees.
Also I am wary of benzene contamination from car fumes on roadside trees.
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Postby Wolf » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:10 am

I don't often get the chance to gloat, but since we bought 6 acres of land that is mostly wooded, I have an abundance of non sprayed bird safe trees to collect wood for perches from. It really saves me a lot of time as well as money. Lucky me, happy birds.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Wolf wrote:I don't often get the chance to gloat, but since we bought 6 acres of land that is mostly wooded, I have an abundance of non sprayed bird safe trees to collect wood for perches from. It really saves me a lot of time as well as money. Lucky me, happy birds.

We bought 3.3 acres of woodland last year :thumbsup:
Mainly hazel coppice with some beech, mountain ash and willow.
Also a few oak and spruce dotted about.
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Postby alienlady » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:28 pm

Loriusgarrulus wrote:
Wolf wrote:I don't often get the chance to gloat, but since we bought 6 acres of land that is mostly wooded, I have an abundance of non sprayed bird safe trees to collect wood for perches from. It really saves me a lot of time as well as money. Lucky me, happy birds.

We bought 3.3 acres of woodland last year :thumbsup:
Mainly hazel coppice with some beech, mountain ash and willow.
Also a few oak and spruce dotted about.

Do you have room for a tent , bird and dog ?? It all sounds idyllic :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:18 pm

We have just had a slate rock hardstanding put in which we can fit OH's Movano van and my Landrover Defender on. OH is converting the van to a campervan. There is a level soil area behind that we are grass seeding to put an awning or tent on.
While they were digging out to level the hardstanding they found a spring in one corner, so we are going to set a solar powered pump from it to fill an 600litre ibc container. I have got a British Berkefeld filter to clean the water for drinking which is a bit like the US Berkey filter. There is a brook on one edge of the wood, but the spring is better as it is next to the van and we won't have to carry water.
We have been up today with our six dogs who are now all asleep as they have been racing through the woods all day. OH and I have planted 36 scots pine, 3 yellow broom and some 5 rosemary plants today and felled a couple of trees that where leaning over a bit precarious. Will be ready for bed tonight. :D

My daughter lives near our bungalow so she will feed our birds if when we stay overnight at the wood.
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Postby Sprite.birb » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:26 pm

Sorry I havent responded or updated this post in awhile, I thought I was receiving email alerts and they stopped for some reason so I didn't know anyone posted.

Sprites feet are looking EXCELLENT! I've had the surfaces wrapped, boosted vitamin a consumption, used vitamin e oil on his feet, and removed his heated perch so I'm not sure which solved the problem but he should be back to completely healthy within the week. His red spots are very faint now and the irritation is basically gone. Thank you all so much for your recommendations!! And thanks for all of the branch enthusiasiam, but I still have no safe branches to choose from in the desert so I bought many from a specialty parrot shop and I'll be rotating all of his around in his cage from here on out.

I think the irritation was caused from him standing on his heated perch for prolonged periods of time. He was a little attached to the warmth of it and it caused him to be more stationary that normal. The heated perches may work for some people, but even wrapped it just didn't work for us.
Sprite.birb
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Canary winged parakeet
Flight: No

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:06 am

I am so pleased for you and Sprite. That is really great news that he is getting better. :hatched:
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:37 am

Sprite.birb wrote:Sorry I havent responded or updated this post in awhile, I thought I was receiving email alerts and they stopped for some reason so I didn't know anyone posted.

Sprites feet are looking EXCELLENT! I've had the surfaces wrapped, boosted vitamin a consumption, used vitamin e oil on his feet, and removed his heated perch so I'm not sure which solved the problem but he should be back to completely healthy within the week. His red spots are very faint now and the irritation is basically gone. Thank you all so much for your recommendations!! And thanks for all of the branch enthusiasiam, but I still have no safe branches to choose from in the desert so I bought many from a specialty parrot shop and I'll be rotating all of his around in his cage from here on out.

I think the irritation was caused from him standing on his heated perch for prolonged periods of time. He was a little attached to the warmth of it and it caused him to be more stationary that normal. The heated perches may work for some people, but even wrapped it just didn't work for us.

Its a shame you are so far away. I brought a load of hazel coppice branches back with us yesteday.
The thin twigs are great for chewing and the thicker ones make lovely perches (chewable as well :lol: )
I have them soaking in the bath to clean them at the moment.
I just need a new pair of feet, knees and hips today. OH is just as bad. I think we overdid it yesterday. :roll:
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet