Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Moluccan Cockatoos

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Moluccan Cockatoos

Postby Navre » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:11 am

Good article here

https://www.facebook.com/riparrot/posts ... 5358338026

My experience with Moluccans is limited to the three we have at the rescue, but I have to say I generally agree. They are super-needy. The two who are super sweet, also self-mutilate. The one who doesn't self-mutilate is super-loud. He will dream all day, sometimes. He probably wants more contact, but he bites, and an M2 bite isn't something you can just accept. He can only be handled in a very controlled situation. I feel bad for all theee of our M2s
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Moluccan Cockatoos

Postby Navre » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:14 am

This is probably a better link to the article.

https://www.parrots.org/pdfs/our_public ... 54-2-2.pdf
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:17 pm

Couldn't find page 12 but reading what I did and mollucans dominating my home I have to agree with them. These girls of mine are a handful and personalities always evolving. I would never trade them for the world but I consider them family not pets . I couldn't even imagine what would happen if there cages were anything more than nighttime sleeping quarters or a quiet place to take a nap if they so choose. TO cage one of this species would surly bring on the self mutilation , screaming and biting. They are too much like children and there intelligence is second to none. If your going to share your home with one of these big beauties plan on letting them run and fly with lots of space or it won't work out. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:24 pm

EXCELLENT article and spot-on accurate! Some animals should never be bred for the pet trade. Period.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:06 pm

I have always liked aToos, but I don't think I would be able to cope with the demands one would need.
So sad as I see a lot of them for sale over here in the classifiedes needing new homes.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:05 pm

NAVRE, how is the cage placement with these 3 too's ? I'll bet if the males cage was placed between the Two girls cages he might settle down a bit especially if it was some what private without to many other squawking birds. My too's will all go off together where they have some privacy and play together or should I say destroy something together and be perfectly content . But when the macaws start in they get attitudes , agitated and go from the area of noise. I've had many years observing them interacting and they really seem to like calm environments unless there causing the commotion. Although there one of the loudest on the decimal scale I've found the calling to only be when they are excited or want something. At least when there happy and healthy. :D Also I've found if the cages are close enough together a rope toy tied between the cages with a toy or a good knot on each end will allow them to play tug of war with each other and providing at least some kind of interaction between the birds while in there own cages. JUST A THOUGHT :D
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Return to Parrot Species