Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rambo &Myrtle update

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:13 pm

You know I am in New Jersey and that Wolf is in North Carolina, Rick (Rmoses) is in Mexico and Alienlady is in England - and it seems we are nothing but a bunch of old people no longer good for much :lol: But, hey, at least, we all like each other and have fun with our birds so there!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:48 pm

We are only as old as we feel :lol: the kids can take care of the heavy stuff. BW.
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby alienlady » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:26 am

Pajarita wrote:You know I am in New Jersey and that Wolf is in North Carolina, Rick (Rmoses) is in Mexico and Alienlady is in England - and it seems we are nothing but a bunch of old people no longer good for much :lol: But, hey, at least, we all like each other and have fun with our birds so there!

The body might have gone but not my sense of humour. I'm keeping that :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby liz » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:45 am

The hard part is living as the age of your spirit. Mine is 35. People of my age or older usually enjoy my 35 year old spirit. Younger people look at me like I am a crazy old lady.

(Rachel is actually treating me like one. I was inviting her to go with me when I have lunch with my Group ladies in hope that she will see me as the individual that I am. They have asked me not to bring her anymore or they will have to slap her down. She is one of those people, like her father, who is loved by everyone and these people tell me how wonderful it would be to have a daughter like her. Each of the ladies in my Group have a daughter like her so they see through her and catch on to when she overrides my conversation or corrects me.
We were put together to deal with our military trauma. Even though we are all from different back rounds and served in different services we are alike when it comes to family. We also all have sons that treat us like we are special.)

Rainbow and Myrtle are involved in and part of the kaos of my life even though we love each other. They are like 2 and 5 year old kids. When I need comfort I go into the cockatiel room and sit on the floor. My sweet little Tiels seem to know I need them and circle around me. Even the ones who don't want touched will come near and tweeter or sing to me. I just love them to pieces. I have not taught mine to whistle songs. They have their own beautiful music. Even though I see it it is hard to believe the big personalities in those little birds. I just love each and every one of them even though Flutter is still a trouble maker.

I know where Wolf is. He took in a pair of Budgies that I did not have time or knowledge to care for. I delivered them to his town. I remember where Paj is because Aunt B is from there and I still have a cousin there. I also remember Wolf's epic non stop turn around run to Jersey to get a bird from Paj. I love to visit NJ in the summer. Even in this posting I have forgotten where the others are that you just told me about. (I am so bad that I can remember things from the past clearer than yesterday.)

I have taken this thread way off my birdies. I need to check on the other posts before my "kids" start calling me. The Tiels are already but the Amazons wait until 9 before they start complaining.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby liz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:43 pm

I have been at my son's house for a good while now. So far I have missed 2 VA appointments because I did not know the day of the month or the day of the week.

I am also way off schedule for birdy baths. Rainbow always loves being misted but today when I put her on the edge of the tub she bit me as soon as she could reach me. The last thing I want to do with her is have an argument. I always loose when she comes out with the "don't you ever ever ever". So I sprayed Myrtle and she loved it. My hand gets tired spraying Myrtle. She never wants it to end. Then Rainbow came back and asked for another chance.

When I went to spray the Cockatiels Tommy took all the spray and blocked the others. He was dripping water when he finally moved to give the others a chance. All but flutter came in for
their share. He is a problem child. What is pitiful is watching Gimpy try to get a shower. He lifts his wings for me to spray under them but can't lift his butt. Since he can fly but not walk he is on the top of the big cockatiel cage and loose in the room. I had to reach in the big cage to spray up and get his underside and butt and Flutter was throwing a hissy fit the whole time. I don't know how he does it but his butt feathers are always clean.

Myrtle keeps calling me because Rainbow will not let her look out the window.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Bird woman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Your bath time with the fids soooo reminds me of mine. I have 3 shower perches in the bathroom but usually only take 2 birds at a time so no squabbles . So that takes 5 days if they only get 1 per week , the weekend showers I hog for myself. The rest of the time we have huge water play time in the main room . It will take 6 full spray bottles to please all the fids and make them look like a drowned rats. :shock: Honestly it's just as much fun for me as we crank up the stove and stereo and play in the water just like we were outside in the summertime. We won't even talk about how long it takes to get the water up but a wet / dry vac works great for the bulk of it. :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:03 am

I have a floor scrubber with a vac. It really helps.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Wolf » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:32 am

For those that have a large number of birds that require a lot of spray bottles of water for misting them, you might consider getting one of those one gallon sized pump up sprayers like are used for spraying plants. They work pretty well as long as you pump them up once in a while, when spraying.

Just a thought that might be useful.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:38 am

My Nicky hates baths. He growls whenever i must him, and he will not use a bowl to bathe. Occasionally he will try to bathe in his water dish, but he is a TAG, and the bowl is way too small.

He is still terrified of my hands, so taking him into the shower isn't something I would try right now.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:38 am

Wolf wrote:For those that have a large number of birds that require a lot of spray bottles of water for misting them, you might consider getting one of those one gallon sized pump up sprayers like are used for spraying plants. They work pretty well as long as you pump them up once in a while, when spraying.

Just a thought that might be useful.

It is usually a finer, steadier spray, too. Some birds react to it better. It's more natural.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care