Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrots for patriots.org

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Parrots for patriots.org

Postby Bird woman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:37 pm

PARROTS FOR PATRIOTS PROGRAM : I would like any feed back from this forum in any capacity , as I am currently considering aligning my resources and private rescue up with them. I have just hooked Chris up with 160 acres of manzanita to be able to free cut and continue to make bird products with the vets to facilitate there adoption and service animal program for the vets. Any feed back , experience with the program or ideas and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrots for patriots.org

Postby alienlady » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:51 pm

I think it's a wonderful idea, it will make so much difference to their lives. Also in some cases it will surely give them something to live for. At the same time Parrots will have a new life too.
All credit to everyone involved with this programme :D :thumbsup: Maybe it could one day be a world wide programme and all people and Parrots can benefit from each other.
Can we please have a thread about the progress of this ?
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Bird woman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:57 pm

I will be happy to keep everyone updated on my progress with this program and all that I learn as we develop our relationship. :thumbsup: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby alienlady » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:29 am

Bird woman wrote:I will be happy to keep everyone updated on my progress with this program and all that I learn as we develop our relationship. :thumbsup: BW

Terrific! I am so looking forward to it :D
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:17 pm

I don't have any personal experience with it but it sounds like a real good thing for both parties: the parrots without homes and the vets with PTSD. I have posted twice about these programs here and, for what I have read, they work.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:02 pm

Went and checked the property with the manzanita today and what a score. This is the biggest stuff I've seen in a long time. It took us 2 hours from the time we left till we got back to get a huge truck load. Chris is now very excited to get down here and cut , he needs the big stuff. They have to do some fund raisers to get another chain saw and to be able to afford the gas so it will probably be a few weeks. They recently have had news articals and tv spots done on the rescue and the veterans program but said it doesn't usually bring in much for donations. I will probably end up helping him eventually in the marketing dept.too as it seems they need help getting donations and sponsors . We will see how it goes when we meet and I make sure this is something I want to get behind. I was looking online and this wood is ridiculously expensive to buy. Even in the pet stores down here they want 5 bucks for a twig perch that fastens to one end of a cage suitable for a parakeet. :shock: I think I'm missing The boat or missed it. My old butt would wear out if I had to cut to many loads of the stuff , but I do have fun making my own birds stuff , didn't realize there was such a market. That's it for now :thumbsup: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby liz » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:36 am

Pajarita wrote:I don't have any personal experience with it but it sounds like a real good thing for both parties: the parrots without homes and the vets with PTSD. I have posted twice about these programs here and, for what I have read, they work.

When my PTSD comes and knocks me in the head, I sit on the floor in the Cockatiel room. They don't judge. They don't care if my throte is sore from screaming. They don't care what I look like. They will love me with what their personalities can manage without any discrimination.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Yes, Liz, that's why animals are better than people, in my personal opinion.

BW, chainsaws can be rented at Home Depot.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Pajarita wrote:Yes, Liz, that's why animals are better than people, in my personal opinion.

BW, chainsaws can be rented at Home Depot.

Can I boast. Well I am going to anyway.

OH has a petrol Sthil 039 chainsaw and I have a Black and Decker battery alligator safety chainsaw.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Bird woman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:49 pm

I have a couple chainsaws , I'm still in the feel it out stage with this and just wanting to know that if I put my efforts into this it doesn't turn out to be a self serving situation. There are a lot of 501 c rescues out there and I don't care what the web site looks like or the cover story or how many tv spots and articals are written I'm not such a trusting sole to put all my weight behind a cause without throughly checking it out first. This wood connection I got them is a big score and will supply them for many years and right on a beautiful road. They make a lot of money manufacturing the toys but Washington is not good area for manzanita. I don't want to pony up everything and have them think I'm a score or a cash cow :roll: I will help anyone as long as I see effort , a worthy cause and results! I guess that's just the business woman coming out in me. :thumbsup:
Bird woman
Amazon

Next

Return to General & Off Topic