Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Baby Red Crowned Parakeet

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Baby Red Crowned Parakeet

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:23 am

Just picked up this baby Kakariki and also drove to the pet store to get hand rearing formula, The breeder was feeding them egg food mixed with boiling water and I have never fed a baby bird before and even I knew that isn't enough nutrition for the babies.Well he is in my care now and was already fed and its almost time for his next feeding.His younger sibling could fly a little and my little one cant just yet, Also one of the chicks was killed yesterday because he flew on the floor and the Pomeranian got him and he said he is probably gonna have to get rid of the dog because thats the second time since last year.Anyways heres a pic of the little cutie and I was not expecting to get anymore birds but he was offered to me free and my step dad wanted to look after him.

ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Baby Red Crowned Parakeet

Postby alienlady » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 pm

I don't understand why the breeder gave you an unweaned bird , how old is it ?
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:38 pm

alienlady wrote:I don't understand why the breeder gave you an unweaned bird , how old is it ?

I wanted to take him because he wasn't being fed formula so he wouldn't be getting the nutrition he needs and the breeder does not want to buy formula so I took him and I bought formula so he's in better hands now and I probably saved him from dying.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:55 pm

Annoying that he blames the dog for his carelessness. I have dogs. One is an avid hunter he even drools at OH 's ferret. I would never have the birds out with the dogs in the same room.

How old is he and how are you feeding him. I know some use a bent up spoon to put in the handrearing mix.

OH works from home and we used to take in baby wild birds and rear them till fit for release. He prefered crop tubing because it would limit handling time to stop then imprinting, but you will want him to imprint. The aviary the ferret is in used to be used for them to fly in to get strong before release.
It was up at six every morning and feeding through the night when they were tiny and weak and dosing antibiotics if someones cat had brought them in.
OH used to use Kaytee handrearing mix for wild bird babies then swap them onto an appropriate diet as they got older. He has reared everything from a tiny pink unfledged baby dunnock to a ring dove.
We haven't tried handrearing a parrot as we have never bred any.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Loriusgarrulus wrote:Annoying that he blames the dog for his carelessness. I have dogs. One is an avid hunter he even drools at OH 's ferret. I would never have the birds out with the dogs in the same room.

How old is he and how are you feeding him. I know some use a bent up spoon to put in the handrearing mix.

OH works from home and we used to take in baby wild birds and rear them till fit for release. He prefered crop tubing because it would limit handling time to stop then imprinting, but you will want him to imprint. The aviary the ferret is in used to be used for them to fly in to get strong before release.
It was up at six every morning and feeding through the night when they were tiny and weak and dosing antibiotics if someones cat had brought them in.
OH used to use Kaytee handrearing mix for wild bird babies then swap them onto an appropriate diet as they got older. He has reared everything from a tiny pink unfledged baby dunnock to a ring dove.
We haven't tried handrearing a parrot as we have never bred any.

I don't see why he couldn't have just put the dog in another room when he is feeding them and the dog even tried jumping up at Oscar but couldn't reach and then started whining.I am feeding him from a syringe, The spoon funnel way is supposed to resemble a birds beak and I was told thats the best way to do it.I fed him for the first time earlier and I have to say it was a very messy job lol and I was being so cautious.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Good luck with the feeding. OH used to put a paper towel round the birds to keep them clean when feeding.

Are you weighing him every day to check his weight gain. Its a good way of monitooring progress.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:53 pm

Loriusgarrulus wrote:Good luck with the feeding. OH used to put a paper towel round the birds to keep them clean when feeding.

Are you weighing him every day to check his weight gain. Its a good way of monitooring progress.

Yeah I have a scale, I noticed when I did the first feeding he wasn't crying for the food like he was at the breeders and his crop was empty.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:54 pm

If I was a breeder id let the parents raise the chicks lol I can hardly handle one chick never mind a whole clutch, They can still turn out tame if you handle them regularly.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby liz » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:19 pm

If they did not treat the breeder birds like property and have a bond with them the birds could be fed by parents and played with by humans.

Before I joined this forum and did not know how to deter the Tiels from breeding. I let the parents and the rest of the flock take care of them. I touched them even before they could stand up straight and they knew me when they opened their eyes.

They can be hand tamed while being cared for by their parents and the flock. I added scrambled egg to the parents diet so they would not have to work as hard to feed the babies.

If he was not buying food for the baby he probably was not feeding the parents right. By pulling a clutch he could put the parents back to hormonal. Breeders don't care about the animal only the money. They discust me and that includes my sister who breeds dogs.

My Maggie was a breeder bird who's mate died. She would not take another mate so I think I paid $20 to get her. She was scared. Very scared. But when I put the food down and backed away she was the first in it. She seemed to like anything I gave her and even taught the others to try things. Makes me wonder what she had been fed. My Sweetie was the one who taught the others what was good to eat before she died.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:38 pm

liz wrote:If they did not treat the breeder birds like property and have a bond with them the birds could be fed by parents and played with by humans.

Before I joined this forum and did not know how to deter the Tiels from breeding. I let the parents and the rest of the flock take care of them. I touched them even before they could stand up straight and they knew me when they opened their eyes.

They can be hand tamed while being cared for by their parents and the flock. I added scrambled egg to the parents diet so they would not have to work as hard to feed the babies.

If he was not buying food for the baby he probably was not feeding the parents right. By pulling a clutch he could put the parents back to hormonal. Breeders don't care about the animal only the money. They discust me and that includes my sister who breeds dogs.

My Maggie was a breeder bird who's mate died. She would not take another mate so I think I paid $20 to get her. She was scared. Very scared. But when I put the food down and backed away she was the first in it. She seemed to like anything I gave her and even taught the others to try things. Makes me wonder what she had been fed. My Sweetie was the one who taught the others what was good to eat before she died.

As he described the parents "They breed like Rats" so clearly they are constantly having chicks every few weeks.He also only has 1 Male mating with 3 Females and he said the Females are sometimes fighting.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Next

Return to Parrot Species