Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

diy idea

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: diy idea

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:32 am

Lord knows there is NOTHING I enjoy more than a thrift store! My husband hates them so he just sits in the car with the radio on while I shop. I've gotten wonderful stuff in them -even furniture!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby alienlady » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:02 pm

Charity and antique shops I love. Yet I detest shopping! :lol:
Pajarita how do you utilise the christmas please ? I was told they couldn't be used for parrots :roll: .Habing seen them out on the streets for collection I thought it a shame.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:07 pm

Our charity shops take anything in, except some can't take electrical goods if they havent got a PAT tester to check them.
Are you anywhere near Horncastle. We used to love having a daytrip there to brouse the old Co-op and other junk and antiques shops. Bit far to go from here, but we used to live near Newark years ago.
We have Dagfields Crafts and Antiques near here. Lots of barns full of antique and junk dealers. Luckily OH likes them too. :D
There are lots of dealers in Stoke on Trent too. Got a complete Stag bedroom suite from one there.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby alienlady » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:58 am

A friend and I used to go to Horncastle, they had great shops there. I don't know about now though, it must be 10 years since I went.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:32 am

http://greatexpectationshorncastle.co.uk

This is still open in Horncastle. Used to have some lovely times with Mum and Dad, brousing in the antiques and junk in Horncastle. Then a trip to a really nice cake shop on the main street and lunch in the fish and chip shop.
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:37 am

alienlady wrote:Charity and antique shops I love. Yet I detest shopping! :lol:
Pajarita how do you utilise the christmas please ? I was told they couldn't be used for parrots :roll: .Habing seen them out on the streets for collection I thought it a shame.

I get a Douglas fir (pines are not good for parrots but firs and spruces are OK, especially when they are dried up) and put it, with the stand, in the middle of the bird room. I cut a few branches so there are 'holes' where they can 'go in'. Firs are very thick and even, they almost look like solid cones so cutting a branch here and a branch there makes room for the birds to perch but, in reality, all the do is trim the branches starting at the end and going in - they never reach the actual trunk because when they are halfway, I throw it away -they make a mess with the needles all over the floor :lol:. Christmas trees are a cash crop for farmers because they just plant them and leave them alone for 3, 4 or 5 years when they cut them down. They are naturally resilient (almost immune!) to pests so they don't get sprayed with anything.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Thankyou Pajarita I appreciate that information. :D
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:50 pm

Thanks Pajarita. That is useful to konw.
We have some spruce in among the hazel in our woodland. We have been thinning it out as where it is its a bit close to each other. Its good to know its got more uses than just firewood and chipping for lining the paths..
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Postby Bird woman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:18 pm

alienlady wrote:I have an idea for those of you with numerous birds or sanctuaries. Do you remember or have the old wooden clothes airers that you used to dry clothes in front of the fire ?
I was just thinking they would make great parrot gyms with toys etc hanging from them. Unfortunately I don't know which wood was used to make them.
However, a copy could be made today. Seeing as they came in ladder and concertina designs , they seem like an idea to play around with and they had a good height.
What do you think ? Hmm maybe I should patent this :lol:
Pan racks hanging from the ceiling is something else that you can have fun converting to a parrot toy.

I have one of these and took it apart and made a replica with hard wood , it's great. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:05 am

A trimmed tree branch laid on the floor keeps them busy too.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY