Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Plucking

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Plucking

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:08 am

Me neither nor would I adopt out a bird to anybody who clips, same as I would not adopt out a cat to anybody who declaws or a dog to anybody who keeps them in crates. In my mind, it's a matter of quality of life. But, even if I did clip, I would never clip a plucking bird because, when a bird plucks, the greatest majority of the time, anxiety is the causative agent of the habit (there could also be pain from overgrown gonads but even when this is the case, there is also sexual frustration which, in turn, creates anxiety). A clipped bird is a handicapped bird and that, in any prey animal, brings on chronic anxiety. Think about it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Valerieholt » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Ok, I've taken all that info on board, treacle has always been clipped and has always been a cocky confident bird, the plucking started with the work being done on the house, I've followed your advise and she or he is a whole lot better, even after her wings being clipped she is still cocky and confident, she is still sat on her free perch in the window playing, and she still has as much access to us as she likes from there, but I will take heed of what you say and won't clip her anymore, though I have to say the shop I bought her from were the ones who said it was best to clip
Valerieholt
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Black headed caique
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:35 am

I thought that you might be clipping your friend because you had been advised to do so. Clipping is in many places one of those controversial topic and has many adherents and supporter on both sides of it. I do believe that not clipping is slowly gaining as the normal in parrot keeping. This means that there is a lot of pro and con information on the net.

I am in favor of never clipping a birds wings unless there is a valid medical reason for it. This was my own choice after studying the issues of clipping. personally, I only recommend to not clip a birds wings, but by the same token I prefer that you do your own research into this and then make up your own mind about it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:00 pm

Valerieholt wrote:Ok, I've taken all that info on board, treacle has always been clipped and has always been a cocky confident bird, the plucking started with the work being done on the house, I've followed your advise and she or he is a whole lot better, even after her wings being clipped she is still cocky and confident, she is still sat on her free perch in the window playing, and she still has as much access to us as she likes from there, but I will take heed of what you say and won't clip her anymore, though I have to say the shop I bought her from were the ones who said it was best to clip

Thank you so much for reconsidering the issue! :thumbsup: I just have one more comment to make and will leave it at that: don't ever take the word of anybody who exploits animals for a living as to what is best for them -especially petstore owners/employees or breeders. Do your own research and always go to nature first, studies second and individuals opinions last because nature always knows best while studies try to understand her (but could be flawed) and people just second-guess her.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet