Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Repetitive Behaviour

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Repetitive Behaviour

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:03 pm

The best thing you can do to an aviary species is treat it like such and not as a companion. Personally, if he were mine, I would get a large flight cage, put it in a nice spot (maybe next to a window) and get him a mate. I would still let him out to fly every day for several hours, talk/sing/whistle to him, offer him treats, etc. but I would not insist on a personal relationship with him, make him go out with a harness, insist he takes a bath when he doesn't want to, etc.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Pajarita wrote:The best thing you can do to an aviary species is treat it like such and not as a companion. Personally, if he were mine, I would get a large flight cage, put it in a nice spot (maybe next to a window) and get him a mate. I would still let him out to fly every day for several hours, talk/sing/whistle to him, offer him treats, etc. but I would not insist on a personal relationship with him, make him go out with a harness, insist he takes a bath when he doesn't want to, etc.

He doesn't wanna be caged so he is left out and so are the Cockatiels, As I said I would love a Female but cant get one anywhere and I don't care for having a relationship with him that all changed when Oscar came and the Cockatiels have each other so only Mango is alone and thats why I wanted a relationship with him before but he might become friends with the baby.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:41 am

ParrotsForLife wrote:
Pajarita wrote:The best thing you can do to an aviary species is treat it like such and not as a companion. Personally, if he were mine, I would get a large flight cage, put it in a nice spot (maybe next to a window) and get him a mate. I would still let him out to fly every day for several hours, talk/sing/whistle to him, offer him treats, etc. but I would not insist on a personal relationship with him, make him go out with a harness, insist he takes a bath when he doesn't want to, etc.

He doesn't wanna be caged so he is left out and so are the Cockatiels, As I said I would love a Female but cant get one anywhere and I don't care for having a relationship with him that all changed when Oscar came and the Cockatiels have each other so only Mango is alone and thats why I wanted a relationship with him before but he might become friends with the baby.

If you just want a pal for Mango and not to breed is there a similiar sized pscittacula species that you could get as a pal for him. Is he similiar size to a ringneck.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:25 am

Loriusgarrulus wrote:
ParrotsForLife wrote:

If you just want a pal for Mango and not to breed is there a similiar sized pscittacula species that you could get as a pal for him. Is he similiar size to a ringneck.

He would be the same size as the baby when he's all grown up
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:06 pm

Go to the same place where you got him and ask for the breeder's info and contact him/her. He was bred in captivity so there has to be a breeder nearby that has more of his species.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:28 pm

Pajarita wrote:Go to the same place where you got him and ask for the breeder's info and contact him/her. He was bred in captivity so there has to be a breeder nearby that has more of his species.

My Uncles cousin owns the bird jungle but they don't breed plum heads anymore
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:40 pm

But I bet they still have the pairs or, if they sold them, they have the information on who they sold them to. It's just a matter of doing a bit of detective work...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Pajarita wrote:But I bet they still have the pairs or, if they sold them, they have the information on who they sold them to. It's just a matter of doing a bit of detective work...

I don't remember the name of the person Rio went to live with lol and even if they do have the pair they aren't breeding them so it wouldn't matter.I don't really need or want anymore birds anyway and couldn't imagine having 6 birds in my bedroom.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:23 am

Then I suggest you stop getting them and possibly start thinking of rehoming Mango and the new baby because you have been here for less than three years and in that time you were first all about Rocko, then all about Loki, then all for the lovebird you couldn't manage and ended up selling, then all for Mango and now all for Oscar. Rocko and Loki are fine because they have each other but Mango is now having stereotypic behavior and that's not good, Brandon. He is suffering and you need to do something about it so, if you cannot find him a mate, then find him a home where he can have a life more suited to his needs and the company of other aviary and similar birds, preferably of the same species.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby alicat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:32 am

Always up to the same antics, Brandon. :lol:
Oh how you make me laugh
alicat
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet