Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rambo &Myrtle update

Postby liz » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:13 pm

I always gave the nesters scrambled eggs since they are easy to feed the baby.

I have been checking on them about every hour. The last time I went in the baby was on the other side of the cage from the nest. He got stuck in the cage and Jackie was trying to figure out how to get him back. He can't see or stand up. Where does he think he is going. When I picked him up to put him back his crop was full. I put a corral around the nest so they can roll him back in if he get loose again.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:41 pm

Well, they are supposed to nest in cavities where the opening is not on the same level as the actual place where the babies are so I guess that takes care of their moving around as well as the darkness they need to finish developing their eyes.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:27 am

I don't understand why he is doing his traveling. Tweet, the mother and Jackie, the grandmother have been taking turns and he is never alone. When I found him on the other side of the cage with Jackie watching I realized they were not throwing him out but that he was a mover.

Columbus was an only child and did not want to stay in the nest but be with the others. He came out too early but could see and stand. The flock joined into his care.

The little one has lost the yellow feathers he was born with and just looks naked. They did not let me see him yesterday but with both taking care of him he must be okay.

I used a metal post in the outside cage and to the window for Rainbow to get out. Charles replaced it with an aged wooden branch and he likes it better.

Myrtle still hangs from the window and yells out for Rainbow to come back in. She loves her and does not want her to be outside after what she went through. They have very good memories.

Do to multiple surgical scars on my body I do not bend well. I was on my knees cleaning the big cage yesterday. I worked on cleaning and changing paper. When I looked up the two loose birds were on the edge of the top looking down at me. I ham
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:26 pm

:lol: They are intensely curious and do need to check on everything we do, don't they? I have a friend (she has macaws) who calls them 'her supervisors'. And yes, they do have very good memories!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:45 am

I hope to get a picture of the baby and of the Amazons outside cage today. I can't put it in a post but will email it out.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:09 pm

I just checked my Cockatiels. I put a dish of scrambled eggs in the babies corral. Tweet was off the nest. That baby has really grown and is so fat that it is rolling around on it's belly. He has even grown yellow feathers back. It would be great if it was a Latino female.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:36 am

The night before last, Rainbow decided to sleep outside. I could not allow it because I am afraid a snake will get in the cage during the night. I had to entice him in with an almond.

Yesterday morning when I offered a pistachio Rainbow ignored it. Instead she went outside and called me to serve her breakfast there.

Myrtle is trying to inch her way outside. She only gets a few inches but that is progress.

I have a large back deck that I want to screen in. It would give them access to the fresh air anytime they wanted to go. Rainbow had been climbing in a tiny cage when I asked him if he wanted to go outside. I only did this with the early morning sun. With a screened deck they would be able to get in and out of the sun as they wished.

While trying to kill out all the bugs in my house it was left empty. Because my critters and I have been in my son's home the rats have moved in. I cannot take my birds back there until I am sure the rats are all dead.

Our time in my son's house started Dec 17th. The Cockatiels do not have the freedom to fly except for Gimpy who I would not deprive of flight and Flutter who I could not catch after the last jailbreak. He does keep Gimpy company.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:36 pm

Oh, my.. if it's not one thing is another, isn't it? Maybe you waited too long to move back in.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:37 pm

I am going to have a lot of trim work to pay for in my son's bathroom. Myrtle has chewed the top off everything. This includes the closet door, linen closet door, trim around window and of all things she has chewed up the edges and inside of the triple mirror. Rambo pealed the veneer off the front of the vanity and the bottom off a door as well as the base boards. With all the stuff I give them to stay busy even to the point of giving them outside access they are still wood chippers. I go in and talk to them often. I play with them at least an hour a day and yell with them outside while working. You just can't win with green wood chippers.

Momma Tweet and Grandmom Jackie were off the nest the last time I checked. I picked up the baby and the little thing is as round as can be. His crop is so full he cannot get it off the bottom of the nest. He rolled around in my hand. Because of past surgeries I am not able to just bend down. I have to get on my knees. When I put him back Jackie was at my face level giving me the stink eye. I had to show her my hands that I did not take the baby. Even so she went running back to the nest. I don't think it will be Latino. It has dark markings on it's stubby little wings.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Baby could be a high pied. And, yes, everybody is chewing now. The short day breeders AND the long day ones, too!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care