Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rambo &Myrtle update

Postby liz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:56 am

Okay, what is a high pied?

:roll: Is it contagious? :lol:
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:27 am

Yesterday evening Rainbow gave us all a terrible scare. He has been playing in a cardboard box under the bathroom vanity. When I went to check on them he was gone. I crawled around searching in every cabinet but instead of finding him I found a hole that would give him access to the space under the trailer. It was about an hour of Rachel under the trailer and me calling from within before he appeared again. There are so many places in this old trailer that have holes that lead to outside. She scared me so bad. She is letting us know where there are places that need fixed. My son is amazed that there are so many in places a human would not look. Charles has some kind of goop that expands and fill holes and is sealing off the holes.

Rainbow did not tell me where he had been.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:00 pm

A high pied is a bird that has a lot of white or yellow instead of the normal color.

Be careful with that stuff that fills up holes, don't leave it showing and where the birds can chew on it. It needs to be covered by wood or something that is not dangerous if the birds chew on it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Okay.

I tried to block off that cabinet but she is too smart and always finds a way. To keep her out I took her ladder away so she can't get to the floor.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:28 am

I sent Wolf a picture of the baby. Wolf, would you post for me? I can't believe how big it is and how active it is even when the eyes are still closed. Mom and Grandmom are taking good care of it.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:41 pm

The baby no longer looks like the picture. It is getting dark feathers and it's eyes are starting to open. Jackie has been letting me pick it up and she comes to me to make sure I don't steal it. The beauty of it is that when Jackie comes to me she now allows me to stroke her beak and scratch her head. I know she probably does not want me to but I am taking advantage of her maternal instincts.

I forgot about the Amazons after I gave them their supper. I just went in and Rainbow was outside with her head under her wing. I don't know why she has been trying to sleep outside but we have preditors who prowl in the night. An owl could not get through the cage but could catch her asleep and injure her through the bars.

I ave two of the sweet feet perches in the outside cage but Rainbow will not allow Myrtle out there. She sits in the window or sometime gets on the branch just outsid the window.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:02 pm

Well, Myrtle finally managed to inch her way out to the outside perch. She loved being out there.

A new twist on my Cockatiels. I notice that a baby coming out of the nest will be cared for by the flock. All flock members feed it. The only interaction I had seen before was when both parents were off the nest and Shadow stuck his head in to sing to the baby. I check on them about every hour and never know which bird I will find in the nest. Just like the first communal nest the whole flock is caring for it while it is still in the nest. Phoenix was the first one I saw. I guess the rest of the flock decided they were allowed too.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:55 am

The Cockatiels are starting to get rough with the baby. They all want him and want to feed him. Tweet has nothing to do with it. Phoenix was the first to get in the nest with Baby. He was followed by others.

They are bored and the baby is exciting. I had been considering letting them out to fly. The Cockatiels helped me make up my mind. They have learned to jump at the door to open it and I did not latch it good enough. They were making so much noise that I went to check. There were birds everywhere so I just covered every thing in the room with sheets and let them stay out. They are all still visiting the baby but no longer fight over him.

The baby has his eyes open. I don't know how well he can see yet. He comes to the edge of the nest box when he hears my voice and enjoys being held. Jackie does not worry any longer that I might steal him. I have had to bring him out to wash him a couple times. It likes head scratches but with no feathers there I really have to be careful.

Rainbow has bee letting Myrtle go outside. They yell hellloooo to any thing or any one moving outside including Jake the dog.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:08 pm

Be careful about wetting him, Liz. Their immune system is not developed and catching even a simple cold can be fatal to them...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:45 am

His legs are the only thing that gets washed. I do dry him off and hold him a while before putting him back. I don't want him to think he has to get his legs washed every time I pick him up.

It is way more fun playing with a baby when someone else does the care. I guess kind of like a grandparent..

The babies wings have stubby little feathers on the edges. He can now stand up and walk. He is worse than Columbus who came out of the nest half feathered because he was alone. This little one has figured out how to lean on the box side and flip it. I kept the box on it's side so it could go back in. The little bald thing walks all over the bottom of the cage. They are all feeding him but no one is sitting on him.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care