Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Winter Solstice 2016

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Winter Solstice 2016

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:13 pm

I don't really start the higher protein until March/1 for the parrots in a, usually futile, effort to keep their breeding season as short as possible. I just made gloop this morning and I added more flax and sesame seeds to it and more grains/less rice but the difference in protein is not really that much. It's when I start adding the hemp seed and/or insect protein and/or sprouts that the level increases more significantly. And, yes, you are right that higher protein does make them hormonal but I do it on purpose so the seasons are marked not only by the longer days but also by the richer, higher protein food -just as it would happen in nature. I am big on trying to do everything as close as it would happen in nature because I believe that keeping the natural circannual biorhythms reduces the stress of captivity.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:28 pm

Is there any harm in giving a single male bird a next box-like thing? I have a little one who seems like he would benefit from having a place to hide.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:33 pm

If he has a place to hide he will feel secure. How long have you had him. You could also give him a cardboard box. He will tare it up as if it is his job. Maybe by the time he finishes it he will feel better about his surroundings.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:58 am

Navre wrote:Is there any harm in giving a single male bird a next box-like thing? I have a little one who seems like he would benefit from having a place to hide.

I don't see any harm in it. The more flighty the bird, the more it will like to have some sort of 'screen' between itself and the rest of the world. The cardinals' cage have fake greenery covering an entire corner and some hanging from the top (kind of like a 'curtain') making a little 'alcove' for them where they can 'hide'.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet