Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:50 pm

Have you tried cinneraria maritima drops to stave off cateracts.
I heard good reports on them and am trying them out on my spitz klein Taz as he is just starting to get a faint haze at the back of his eye.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo
Flight: Yes

Postby alienlady » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:04 am

I'm so pleased to hear that the visit wasn't as bad as expected and hope his little toe soon heals :thumbsup:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:04 pm

Loriusgarrulus wrote:Have you tried cinneraria maritima drops to stave off cateracts.
I heard good reports on them and am trying them out on my spitz klein Taz as he is just starting to get a faint haze at the back of his eye.

I will try it if she is, indeed, diagnosed with cataracts. Has you dog been diagnosed with them? Because what most people call cataracts in old dogs is actually lenticular sclerosis and not really cataracts.

On another note, Freddy is doing very well and, although I might be mistaken, I think I saw him using the cut toe (not the amputated one but the one that the doctor feared was not getting enough blood supply) to hold on to the bars of his cage today.

AND drum roll! I think I might have found Pookey's next owner! I had been corresponding with a few people who were interested in her but ended up with two most likely candidates. One of them came today and she liked him!!!!!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Go, TEAM POOKEY!
galeriagila
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:12 pm

I am not happy with Freddy's cut toe (not the one that needed to be amputated). I think the vet should have put a stick or two in it because he insists on holding on the bars of his cage and, when he does this, he hooks the claw on a bar and the wound opens up. This morning, there was blood again... and I don't see how it's going to heal properly if he keeps on opening the cut! I'll try to bandage it shut but I need to wait for my husband to come home tonight because I can't hold him in a towel and bandage his toe properly on my own (I would need to bandage the whole foot in such a way that I am holding the cut close but not cutting the circulation to it or any other part of the foot).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:55 am

That isn't very good at all, poor Freddy. Have you tried using a styptic pencil , it might work or at least hold until yout hubby gets home.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Oh, no, no, no, I don't use styptic anything on my animals - it stings like the devil! In any case, he is going to lose half of that toe. I saw this morning that the tip is beginning to wither... Darn darn darn! I feel so terrible about this! It was all my fault! I shouldn't have left them out of their cages... not during breeding season. I know my husband is not attuned to the different sounds like I am and should have taken that into consideration. The only saving grace on all of this is that he lost half a toe in the front and half a toe in the back so he still has a good toe to the front and a good toe to the back as well as the halves to give him a larger 'sole' surface so he will be able to climb and perch almost normally after he adapts to his disability. But still...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby alienlady » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:27 pm

Sorry it was all I could think of quickly. I'm sorry too that his toe is withering and hope everything turns out well for him. Don't feel too bad, think of all the good you have done instead.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Anything that happens to my animals that could have been prevented with some forethought is my fault... There are 'real' accidents and then there are 'preventable' accidents. A branch crashing into a window in a storm is an 'real' accident but Freddy getting his toes bit by Linus during breeding season was a preventable accident - ergo, it was my fault.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:52 pm

Lacy perches and climbs with all her toes missing on the front of her left foot.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales