Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Meet The Flock

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Meet The Flock

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:22 pm

I started a new Youtube Channel so make sure to subscribe to this one and not the other one, Watch our latest video Meet The Flock

https://youtu.be/9uazRxkccRY
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Meet The Flock

Postby alienlady » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:36 pm

You have beautiful birds there :D
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:50 pm

Thanks :) only one who wasn't included is Kiki the baby Kakariki, He's too flighty and I guess since I stopped hand feeding him he prefers my mams boyfriend now lol though I knew with Oscar bonded to me its best because he would probably get jealous if Kiki was following me everywhere.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Is that your hand touching Oscar? Because, whoever it was, this person was not reading the bird correctly. It was pretty obvious he did not want to be touched. He leaned back and, when the person still insisted, he made warning noises and grabbed the finger. Be careful about not reading his body language - this is a male amazon and he might now be a baby so he is not going to bite yet but he will grow up and he will remember...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Pajarita wrote:Is that your hand touching Oscar? Because, whoever it was, this person was not reading the bird correctly. It was pretty obvious he did not want to be touched. He leaned back and, when the person still insisted, he made warning noises and grabbed the finger. Be careful about not reading his body language - this is a male amazon and he might now be a baby so he is not going to bite yet but he will grow up and he will remember...

I let him play with my fingers to show him how to be gentle with the beak and not apply pressure which is how I stopped Tiko biting, No he did not want to be touched so I backed off and tried again because I am teaching him to allow me to touch his head and he's doing good and let me give him some head scratches yesterday.If he wanted to bite he would and he can bite very hard even when he's just playing or is perched on your hand and decides to play with your fingers.He is a baby and he does bite lol though I've never been bitten very hard I know when he wants me to go away because he will push me away with his beak and thats how he shows me and he never did grab my finger I gave it to him.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Same like when I roll him on his back he will grab my finger to let me know its time to go back on his two feet.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby liz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:56 pm

They are beautiful.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:22 pm

liz wrote:They are beautiful.

Thank you :)
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:36 am

ParrotsForLife wrote: I let him play with my fingers to show him how to be gentle with the beak and not apply pressure which is how I stopped Tiko biting, No he did not want to be touched so I backed off and tried again because I am teaching him to allow me to touch his head and he's doing good and let me give him some head scratches yesterday.If he wanted to bite he would and he can bite very hard even when he's just playing or is perched on your hand and decides to play with your fingers.He is a baby and he does bite lol though I've never been bitten very hard I know when he wants me to go away because he will push me away with his beak and thats how he shows me and he never did grab my finger I gave it to him.

Brandon, you are so wrong when it comes to parrots... What makes you think that parrots need to be taught to like human touch? The bird either likes it or doesn't like it - you can't teach a bird to like a person or a caress, same that you can't teach a person to like you or your hugs. If a person doesn't like you to hug him/her, do you force your hugs on him/her all the time to 'teach' him/her to like it? Of course not! For one thing it would be terribly disrespectful, and, for another, the only thing you would accomplish is for that person to avoid you like the plague! Parrots are not mindless beings, they know what they like and what they don't like and you cannot force them to like you or your touch. You can win them over with love, patience and respect but forcing your touch on them is exactly the opposite of what you should do because the first step with them is to gain their trust and all you are doing with this is teaching Oscar that you can't be trusted to respect his wishes, that it's your way or the highway, and that, like it or not, you WILL do whatever you want to do (flooding!!!!). Not a good starting point for any relationship, Brandon. And, I am warning you, again, this is not a baby cockatiel or a plummie, reconsider using these flooding techniques on him or you will regret it in a few years.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Pajarita wrote:
ParrotsForLife wrote: I let him play with my fingers to show him how to be gentle with the beak and not apply pressure which is how I stopped Tiko biting, No he did not want to be touched so I backed off and tried again because I am teaching him to allow me to touch his head and he's doing good and let me give him some head scratches yesterday.If he wanted to bite he would and he can bite very hard even when he's just playing or is perched on your hand and decides to play with your fingers.He is a baby and he does bite lol though I've never been bitten very hard I know when he wants me to go away because he will push me away with his beak and thats how he shows me and he never did grab my finger I gave it to him.

Brandon, you are so wrong when it comes to parrots... What makes you think that parrots need to be taught to like human touch? The bird either likes it or doesn't like it - you can't teach a bird to like a person or a caress, same that you can't teach a person to like you or your hugs. If a person doesn't like you to hug him/her, do you force your hugs on him/her all the time to 'teach' him/her to like it? Of course not! For one thing it would be terribly disrespectful, and, for another, the only thing you would accomplish is for that person to avoid you like the plague! Parrots are not mindless beings, they know what they like and what they don't like and you cannot force them to like you or your touch. You can win them over with love, patience and respect but forcing your touch on them is exactly the opposite of what you should do because the first step with them is to gain their trust and all you are doing with this is teaching Oscar that you can't be trusted to respect his wishes, that it's your way or the highway, and that, like it or not, you WILL do whatever you want to do (flooding!!!!). Not a good starting point for any relationship, Brandon. And, I am warning you, again, this is not a baby cockatiel or a plummie, reconsider using these flooding techniques on him or you will regret it in a few years.

Ok clearly I didn't explain properly, Oscar LOVES head scratches he just did not want any at this time so I backed off and tried again and when he still refused I stayed away.Now was that explained better? Now maybe I should get a video of him enjoying head scratches lol and asking for them like yesterday he flew to my bed just to get head scratches.Rocko used to like being touched when he was a baby and now he doesn't that much so I only give him head scratches when he comes asking just like I do with Oscar and like in the video I asked him but that was the first time I did that I never do ask him off camera.Oscar trusts me and I respect him, I didn't listen to him just once and you assume this is how he's treated all the time ok I see you like to see things how you want them to be seen.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Next

Return to Parrot Tales