Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:40 am

Yes, animals are amazingly stoic and manage to adapt to almost any type of disability and still have a happy life... We should learn from them!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:53 pm

We had a Blue Crown Conure who broke his foot on a bad perch. (He came in with the perch, and we try to use "their" stuff when they come in, but I should have spotted it and thrown it away.)

Much effort (and money) was spent trying to save the toes, and then the foot, but he ended up losing it all. He was adopted by the volunteer who was caring for him through all this. She recently posted that he is now able to perch and kind of grip with what is left on that leg, and he seems to be functioning fine. He is a great little bird and I'm glad it has worked out, but I still blame myself for not spotting something that was a hazard to him.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Hind sight can really beat us up.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:02 pm

liz wrote:Hind sight can really beat us up.

I worked for 20 years rescuing people. I didnt have a perfect record there, either. No matter how many you save, its the one you didnt that you will remember when half asleep, or upset about something else. Which, is why God invented alcohol!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:07 am

:lol: AMEN to that! And, yes, you are absolutely right. No matter how much experience we have and how well we learn from our mistakes, there is always something we overlook...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:51 pm

I am so sorry about Freddy , know all of us are thinking about you bea! It is better that are birds are left to run free and at least experience the freedom of a larger space other than there cage and that, you have provided for all your Fids. Having multipal birds I understand completely the balancing act trying to give as much freedom as possible and keeping everyone out of harms way. Your other birds need you and so do we. Take the time you need we're all here . :flapping: fly free Freddy BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:30 am

Paj, I am so sorry. Those are the only words I can come up with. They are not good enough to tell you how I feel.

Reading back in the thread there was a comment about syptic powder. I used corn starch when Myrtle ripped her toe nail off. (it grew back)
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:40 am

Thank you, my friends! It's been a real hard time for me and Wolf passing away has only made things so much worse for me... I feel as if I lost a brother!

I found Freddy dead the afternoon of Friday, March 10th. I had gone out to do a home inspection around 2 pm for a prospective owner for Pookey (did not work out but I'll tell you about this some other time) and had left him out of his cage because he had started to walk around and climb but I shouldn't had because I knew he wasn't as sure-footed as he used to be so his death is on me. I found him hanging head down from the platform and, although I will never know what happened exactly, I think he must have tried to grab the wires that make the platform with his bad foot, slipped and his foot went down. He must have tried to get it out and ended up with his left wing (the same side as his bad foot) getting tangled in the next hole as well as his neck in still another one. These are big holes (maybe 3 by 4 inches each) so he should have been able to get untangled on his own easily or safe while waiting for me but he didn't and I guess the struggle must have choked him or something because he was dead.

I also lost a male canary and the female cardinal but neither bird was unexpected as the canary had been getting sick and getting better on antibiotics but he did not this last time and I found him dead one morning, and I never did know how old the cardinal was but I always suspected they were both old birds (the male is still going strong). Then I find Freddy dead and to put the icing on the cake, I had to put down my 19 year old dog, Rocky, from kidney failure (his liver and pancreas had not been doing well, either).

I love all my animals and I treat them all equal but, in my heart of hearts, I know that I have favorites (same thing with my children, grandchildren, dogs and cats). I try very, VERY, hard to treat everybody equally but that doesn't change my feelings. Freddy was one of my 'special' loves and his death really knocked me off my feet. I was completely devastated and couldn't even look at Linus for a couple of days (I didn't even let any of my birds out for two whole days) but having others that depend on me and need my love helps a lot when something like this happens so slowly but surely things are getting back to the normal routine. My husband and children did not know what to do to make me feel better but they just don't understand... My husband kept on saying: "We'll get you another one, just like him" and that made things worse although I know he was trying to console me. I actually screamed at him twice because of this and was not even answering the phone when my kids called but now I feel bad about doing this because I know they were just trying to help.

And now, my beloved friend Wolf is gone too and I am back in the dumps... But I will claw my way back up, like I always do. I've always been a survivor and, like Molly Brown, I am unsinkable so don't worry about me.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Sorry about Freddy. :(

I know it always hard, but some are harder than others.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby alienlady » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:48 am

I'm very sorry to hear about Freddy and that you're having such a tragic time. Big hug and hope everything starts to look up soon.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales