Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Budgies vs Cockatiels

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Budgies vs Cockatiels

Postby Rainbow_Feathers » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:34 pm

Hello, everyone!

I'm looking into getting a pair of birds, but can't decide on what to get. Originally I wanted a pair of Budgies, I've read a lot about them and they seem like the kind of bird I would like. On the other hand I also really like Cockatiels. My friend used to have some and they were really fun to interact with.

Could everyone with experience with these birds tell me the pros and cons of each bird or possibly what one you think is the best 'Beginner' bird?

Rainbow_Feathers
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None yet.
Flight: Yes

Re: Budgies vs Cockatiels

Postby liz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:28 am

Welcome to the forum.

Budgies make cheerful sounds all day and they always seem to be happy. Some have learned to talk.

Cockatiels are my favorite. They are beautiful nonaggressive little parrots. There songs are so beautiful. I have multiple birds and the males sing songs and every once in a while they get on the same song.

No matter what you choose remember that they are parrots like the big guys and must be treated with love and respect. There is just as much cleaning and feeding for a little bird as a big one. They can live 24 years so what you do with them when you first get them is what is going to mold you forever.

Key Budgies into the search. Then do it again with Cockatiels. You can pick up more information than you would ever think to ask on the forum.

Others will come on and give you there opinions soon. I am just your first responder.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:02 am

Budgies are kinda like Lovebirds in a way that they prefer to stick with their own species and Cockatiels are kinda like that too but they are all individuals and might like to hang around with you too but my pair are tame and still like to stay out of my way and only come to me when they want something.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:36 pm

Well, both are small aviary species and I am very glad you have decided to get a pair because neither do well on their own (meaning as only birds). They both get along with the opposite or the same gender but I personally recommend getting a male and a female because, as they are monogamous and mate for life, these birds do much better from a psychological point of view when they have a mate than when they have just a friend. Neither species bonds deeply to humans but they are VERY friendly and can learn to trust and love their human as another flock member.

Budgies are more noisy because they chatter all day long and, although I enjoy this constant background 'chit chat', some people get fed up with it after a while. Cockatiels are not noisy at all, especially if you have a pair because you will mostly hear the male calling when hormonal and the female not at all (females only call -and can do it incessantly!- when they are alone and hormonal). Both need the same kind of diet (whole grains, veggies and greens for breakfast and grass seeds for dinner with some good quality multivitamin/mineral supplement given regularly -twice a week does the trick), cage (a large flight one) and light schedule (strictly solar as they are VERY opportunistic breeders).

The biggest difference comes in the colors and, to a lesser extent, their price. Budgies are quite inexpensive (you can find them for free or a very nominal adoption fee in CL all the time) while cockatiels are a bit more (but not really expensive, either). Budgies come in a veritable rainbow of colors and patterns (I call them 'the little flying jewels of the parrot world') while cockatiels, although having several mutations, are restricted to four colors and the combination of them: black, grey, white and yellow.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Rainbow_Feathers » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Thanks for all your replies! It really helps me to make a decision haha :)
Rainbow_Feathers
Parakeet

Postby liz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:04 am

Read what others say about their Budgies and Cockatiels. If you go to FB there are videos of them to watch. I really liked the video of a Cockatiel hiding behind a chair leg then popping out to say peek-a-boo.
Most of mine came from CL. They desperately needed saving and have been a joy for me. Flutter is the only one who came without fear. My Cockatiels and I are paying the price. I think Flutter is insane.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Rainbow_Feathers » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Yeah, I'll definitely browse the forums and see what everybody has posted about them. I think I would quite like to rescue/adopt a bird instead of going to a pet shop. I live in New Zealand and we don't really get budgies/cockatiels in rescue centers but I know of a few websites I might be able to find some on :)
Rainbow_Feathers
Parakeet

Postby liz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:35 am

That is good
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby stevesjk » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:05 pm

Ive got a budgie, i would say if you are home a lot get one but if you are out a lot and you go to work get a pair.

The pet quality is superb, if they see humans as their flock then they just want to be with you so if you get just one you cannot leave it on its own for long periods, you have to be prepared to be its flock.

If you decide on a pair this takes the pressure off as it will depend on you less for companionship but almost certainly wont be as tame.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Georginia » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Hello! I know this is sort of an old post, but I thought I'd post anyway!

I have two Budgies, Skittles and Nico, they're a very bonded pair who live together. I'm just going to go ahead and point this out, if you get a pair, your birds will most likely bond to each other more than you. Now, that doesn't mean they won't like you, they just prefer the company of other birds. In my case, I've got two bonded birds who don't exactly like me. However, most of the time Skittles enjoys shoulder time with me, and will get up on my shoulder voluntarily. He, however, hates hands! You grab him or even pet him and he squawks like crazy! Doesn't bite, just has a major freakout. Like most birds, though, he does enjoy head scratches. Though, that's just the personality of MY bird, your future birds will most likely have a totally different personality. My other Budgie, Nico, I don't know what he'd do without Skittles. Whenever I take him out of the cage and place him near me, he flies all over to place just to get to Skittles. You might sort of be hesitant to get a bonded pair now, but don't be! Overall, I'm actually really happy I've got those two bonded birds. I get to interact with them for quite a while, and then after that I get to watch them play around together, which makes me happy.

As for which species, I'd just say go with whichever you like best! I know Cockatiels love to sing beautiful songs, whereas my birds like to go "SQUAWK! SQUAWK!", but I've gotten use to their sounds. I think Budgies are better talkers, however, that does NOT guarantee anything. Both Budgies and Cockatiels can be very loving and affectionate! I hope this helps.....sorta?

:D :greycockatiel: :budgie:
I currently have two male Budgies, whom I love very much! I hope to soon expand my bird family and adopt more loving feathered friends into my home!
Georginia
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies/Parakeets

Return to Parrot Species