Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I dont know what this means

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

I dont know what this means

Postby Saman7 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:16 pm

What does it mean if my african grey does this as well as making a lot of noise.
Attachments
2017-02-26 17.15.25.jpg
By this i mean he opens up his wings and shakes them. Sorry for the poor quality
2017-02-26 17.15.25.jpg (107.5 KiB) Viewed 6851 times
Saman7
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrots
Flight: Yes

Re: I dont know what this means

Postby Bird woman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:01 pm

THIS IS YOUR BABY TELLING YOU HE/SHE LOVES YOU AND WANTS YOUR ATTENTION ! {and then some} :lol: no really I'm not kidding , ITS BIRDIE FRISKY SEASON AND YOUR BIRD WANTS YOUR ATTENTION. SOMETIMES THEY WILL ALSO HANG ONTO THE BARS WITH THERE MOUTH WHILE FLUTTERING THERE WINGS AND DO THE MOON WALK WITH THERE FEET. YOUR BIRD IS BEAUTIFUL AND OBVIOUSLY LOVES YOU . PAY HEED HOW YOU CUDDLE RIGHT NOW . BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:00 pm

If it is a young bird, it means it's hungry. If it's an adult bird, it means it was not weaned properly and continues using the 'feed me' as a 'pretty please with sugar on top' behavior and wants attention.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:33 am

Rainbow still uses the baby bird flutter when he wants something. She walks back and forth when she wants picked up. One time he was on the floor following Rachel and bothering her. When she asked "what do you want" she said "pick this boy up". Most of the time he just flutters and leaves it to me to figure out what he wants.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:17 am

My TAG does that, and he's wild caught and at least 25 years old.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Being wild caught does not mean that he was not handfed or weaned improperly because trappers get them from the nests when they are still little babies. It's not where they were born or whether their parents were wild or not, it's the hand-feeding that makes them imprint to people and the incorrect weaning that creates the problems. But not all wild caught came to USA as a little babies, either, they brought lots of adults to be used as breeders - and those are the ones that you can't really tame completely no matter how much time and patience you put into it because they know very well man is the enemy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby AnneBoleyn » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 pm

My baby female plum head does this and in young birds it normally means they want feeding or they want a treat or they want you to pet them. Just to be on the safe side I do all three until she is happy. It can sometimes mean the bird is too hot, and if this is the case her beak will be open too. Either way you have a beautiful bird, and love care and attention solves almost anything.
AnneBoleyn
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Cockatiels, Splendids and Plum head pair.
Flight: No

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:11 pm

That was my Greys way of begging for food
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Pajarita wrote:If it is a young bird, it means it's hungry. If it's an adult bird, it means it was not weaned properly and continues using the 'feed me' as a 'pretty please with sugar on top' behavior and wants attention.

Remember Spyro I was bird sitting? His owners literally put their fingers on his beak and he bops his head up and down as if he is eating from a syringe, Even my mam said thats not a good thing to do but they still continue to do it.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:07 pm

Unfortunately for them, Brandon, the greatest majority of people (and I include myself in there) don't really know how to properly treat and/or interact with parrots...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to General & Off Topic