Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Update of Harley and Marley

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Update of Harley and Marley

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:41 pm

Gaugan keeps her beak nicely trimed, she does chew pine wood a lot and every night she is sharpening her beak. She can break into any almond herself. Sunny is still practicing keeping his beak sharp enough, and sometimes needs help with almonds. The poor Senegals I saw at the rescue here had quite long beaks, not so long they couldnt eat but it showed me one of the things such a small life can do at one glance. The two plucked Senegals even worse.

With Isis Redbelly, she may not be able to chew anything harder than carboard yet. With Rescue Pois i have had or seen it takes a while for them to build up the "muscles" they need to chew hard things, and sometimes a while for the urge to come back. in my house the pine slabs get chewed like crazy, and Gaugan is a big chewer so Sunny is likely folowing her lead. At my daughters there is much less chewing, because her Senegal has to build up for it and her Meyers is still young. Sunny loves this one little box that is filled with crimped paper and has a couple pine slabs on it that one of the places I get parrot supplies sends for free. He destroys it in one day, working all day on it. Gaugan is happy when he is so busy, she can explore around everything like she likes to do without him constantly wanting to be around her......lol
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:40 am

Well, I would not call Isis a 'rescue'... she might not have had a good diet, enough flying and one-on-one time but she was loved - her owner did not want a single penny for her or her cage and he gave her up because he recognized that he was not giving her the right care (he is a young college student in NYC and did his best). She wasn't even meant to come to me, I had answered his CL ad for a friend of mine who has a male that is completely hands-off so I thought they would both benefit (her previous owner had stated on his ad that he wanted her to go to a home with another redbelly) but he came over with her in a carrier to meet me and after he talked to me in person and saw my birds, he did not even want to contact my friend Gail.

I have given her all kinds of wood, pine, balsa, birch and branches from the trees in my backyard but she doesn't really chew anything in her cage. The only thing she chews is a biggish cardboard box I keep on my island for this specific purpose (I put it standing up and inside another box with pebbles at the bottom for weight). She likes to perch on top of it and chew it - and that is the ONLY thing she actually chews... But she is changing her habits so maybe she will start. It's been two years since she came and, right on schedule, she is now much more self-assure and has taken up new habits so maybe she will start on this, too. She still likes to 'steal' food as I prepare it and eat it outside her cage but she started eating produce in it, too - even greens! This morning, I ended up sweeping my dining room three times because she stole a piece of raw carrot (she grabs the 'loot' in her beak and flies off real quick :lol: ) and decided to change places so I ended up with little pieces of carrots in three different spots on the floor - ay ay ay!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:35 pm

My pois dont chew much in their cage either. it might be because when Gaugan was a baby, she chewed up her favorite toy. I could not replace it exactly as i did not have the right parts, and she would stare at where the toy was and she never chewed much in her cage ever since that experience. She likes to chew her pine blocks on her play areas, and Sunny likes to do whatever Gaugan does. Sunny started chewing pine blocks from the time he was 5 months old. They sometimes fight over chewing places, but Gaugan always wins. I have given up on balsa, and yucca, they chew it up in a few minutes. they love to chew on wicker, and the only place i can find safe untreated wicker baskets is on my bird sites, and with wicker I can attach other toys and make some really cool play stations. Seagrass mats are great to attach chewies to as well.

With my daughters rehomed Senegal, she is ony starting to chew on pine blocks and it has taken her a long time to build up to that. Gaugan never started to be this big a chewer untill she hit 5 years old, so age may play a part too. Gaugan is really good at keeping her beak looking nice and Sunny is having some beak flaking right now and Gaguan is determined to preen it off, and Sunny thinks she should stay away from his beak and let him finish that moult in peace....lol Sunny is starting to look more like an adult now.

Right now Gaugan is determined to chew up the back of my favorite chair to sit on. I finally put many layers of cloth on the back of my chair and now I let her be up there. I think she may think it is a good nesty area right behind me. Anyway, come September she will lose interest in the back of my Lazy boy chair.

My daughters Senegal just adores carrots. Sunny the Meyers favorite fruit/veggie is blue berrys and Gaugan the Redbelly is apple. When someone is peeling an apple they will have Gaugan flying in to look and maybe hanging on their back....lol
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:15 am

Sweetpea Senegal loves to chew wood and I hit the jackpot when I put a cockatiel's nest in their cage (not because I wanted them to breed but to see if having a nest would make Zoey more amenable to him as a mate). It's made out of hemp fiber (I got it at ABBA and it's made in Italy) but it looks and feels like wood and he LOVES it! Every morning, when I clean their cage, there is a pile of chips from it. It did not work to make him more attractive to Zoey though...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:08 pm

It has been a long time since I had anything to say about Harley and Marley. They came to me for another couple who did not care for them properly and so I took them back. I must admit that they had their problems from the start with Harley having liver problems which he is dealing with quite well and Marley plucked herself bald and by the time that she came to me I was not able to turn it around. She was also very hormonal and it took me quite some time to bring it under control. Since budgies are such opportunistic breeders it is had to bring under control and just as difficult to keep under control. Any way she and I finally lost the battle and she became egg bound and I was unable to get the egg to pass and lost her this past week.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Oh, I am so sorry.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:25 pm

Thanks, Liz, Marley was such a sweet little bird and Harley and I loved her very much. He is a bit depressed right now as he grieves for her. I am depressed over this as well but not as much as Harley appears to be to me.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:15 am

They were such happy little birds that gave me a lot of joy with their chattering.

It really hurts when we loose a loving little friend but it is increased when we know that another little critter is mourning the loss. If Harley saw that she was dead his mourning will be lessoned. He knows what happened and is not calling to her and waiting for her return.

Tweetle Dee was with Tweetle Dumb when he died and he only mourned for about 3 days. Rainbow did not see what happened to his "Grandma" and called to her for weeks. I heard her call for "Grandma" yesterday. I could only tell him that she went bye bye. She is waiting for her "Grandma" to come back.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby alienlady » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:45 am

I'm so very sorry to hear your sad news Wolf. I hope you are holding up ok.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Previous

Return to Parrot Tales