Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I finally have my new Senegal Parrot

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: I finally have my new Senegal Parrot

Postby stevesjk » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:51 pm

Assuming he is in his cage, is he clung to the bars as he is vocalising? If so - Providing it is safe to do so and all windows are shut try opening his cage door - he is asking you for freedom and he wants to explore his surroundings. Freedom around the household and hanging out with humans can often be the answer to screaming.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby stevesjk » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:53 pm

alienlady wrote:Could it be that Jojo just wants to sit with you and not in the cage?

You beat me to it alienlady lol
stevesjk
Conure

Postby Wolf » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:45 pm

PatrickAlan wrote:JoJo is having a bad day today, and he has been calling out since he woke up this morning. Mind you I am sitting at my desk right next to his cage yet he continues to call out. I guess he is bothered by something or just woke up on the 'wrong side of the bed'. It takes me back to when I had my Nanday conure, who would call out constantly the moment you left his side - but his calling out was a lot louder than JoJo's. So I'm confused as to why JoJo is calling out nonstop this morning. He is very ancy and doesn't even appear very interested in his breakfast of veggies this morning.

Sounds to me as though he is asking to be let out of his cage. Spending time with and on their chosen human is very important to them is terms of a sense of security and well being, it also helps to build their trust in their human. This is very important to building a good relationship with them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby PatrickAlan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:13 am

I know a lot of parrot owners do enjoy having their parrot on them - on their shoulder, lap, whatever....I'm not real comfortable with allowing JoJo on my shoulder. That's how ears can
be bitten. Unfortunately his wings were clipped prior to my bringing him home (something I insisted not be done). Right now I'm waiting for a tabletop perch so he can spend more time out of the cage, but in the interim I will take him out more often and let him spend longer times out of the cage.
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot

Postby alienlady » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:56 am

Allowing them to sit on you is the bonding progress and the bird knows then that he can trust you. If he can't trust you then you will start major problems for him psychologically. Maybe you could give him a try and see how he acts. I've never had a bitten ear from any birds :P .
Steve great minds etc :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Wolf » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:18 am

Perhaps you could let him have more time out on the table while you are waiting for the table top perch and while he get accustomed to using the new perch. Also JoJo may be happy with perching on your hand or forearm. My Senegal actually seems to prefer perching there rather than on my shoulder, it would be worth giving it a try, I would think.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby alienlady » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:51 am

I agree Wolf but I do feel concerned that the bird will suffer if he doesn't receive the bonding and touching with his partner.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby stevesjk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:48 am

If you want a parrot to be content without physical interaction from its owner then you need at least 2. If you take on a solitary parrot you become its mate so you need to interact with it as much as possible.

A lack of social interaction can lead to behaviours such as screaming and feather plucking. With most parrots, just sitting next to the cage actually doesn't count towards its 4 hours (minimum) of social interaction that it requires daily.
stevesjk
Conure

Postby PatrickAlan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:10 am

Here's an Update:: Yesterday, I did infact take JoJo out of his cage - actually I opened the door and he came out on his own. He spent a good amount of time out on my shoulder, just chattering to me as I worked on the computer. I did this four times yesterday, and I could see a difference in his behavior when he did go back to his cage - he played, he ate, he took a nap, and he gave himself a bath. Thank you all for replying to my post. You have all been terrific and I thank you for your help with this. His table top perch did arrive in the mail yesterday, so it will be a lot easier having him out of his cage. He does enjoy neck scratches and head rubs. Things are going well ! Thank you all.
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot

Postby alienlady » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:40 am

Well done in overcoming your apprehensions Patrick! This is terrific news and I'm so happy for JoJo now he has what he wants. :D :thumbsup: Wishing you a great relationship with your JoJo!
alienlady
Poicephalus

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species