Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Discolored pellets

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Discolored pellets

Postby DanaandPod » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:56 pm

If you bought pellets that were slightly darker than what they are usually, would you use them? Thanks
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Discolored pellets

Postby Bird woman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:55 pm

I always check the dates and never buy old seed or pellets , so many bags in pet store are either expired or close to it and repackage in freezer bags and store all my food in refrigerator. BW. {If I was in question of any food I'd toss it or take it back to the store.}
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Re: Discolored pellets

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:26 am

I never buy or feed pellets so I really do not know the answer to that. What I can tell you is that all grain or seed products cannot be more than three months old - manufacturers usually give them a one year shelf-life but I buy directly from the manufacturer and in small batches so as not to go over the three month rule.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet