Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue

Postby liz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:03 am

:lol: rehabbing mice.

I do believe that nurturing a critter is an emotion you get a birth. Rachel's father never took care of a pet. He did not want to. Rachel must be a mix. She collects critters but gives them the bare minimum. Charles got his from me.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:40 am

I had no idea how nice mustache parakeets were. I always figured them for aviary-type birds, but we have one who absolutely loves me.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:57 am

***ADOPTION***

Merlin and Willow were adopted!

Merlin is a female Mustache Parakeet, and Willow is a Black Capped Conure, presumably male.

These two are a bonded pair. They were first rescued by a very kind man who took them from a woman who was trying to give them away to a pet store like a Petco or Petsmart. I forget the exact details, but when the store wouldn't take them, she said she was just going to let them go. He took the birds to keep that from happening. He kept them ling enough to find us, and bring the birds to the rescue. Even though they weren't his birds, and we would have waived it, he insisted on paying the relinquish fee, and donating the cage. He also made us promise to keep them together. We never break up bonded pairs, but cohabitants aren't necessarily bonded. There are also situations in which birds of much different sizes need to be separated for the safety of the smaller bird. Bonded or not, keeping an amazon with a budgie is not fair to the budgie and that budgie is almost sure to be badly hurt eventually.

These two were bonded for real, and are close enough in size that that could indeed be kept together.

They're both very sweet, and very different. They took to their new owner right away. I'm going to miss having them around. The mustache parakeet, especially.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:59 am

This is me with Merlin
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:10 am

***ADOPTION***

This is Casey, renamed Casey Grey, because we had three Caseys at the time. He learned the name Casey Grey pretty quickly. We never change a bird's name, but several times we have given a bird the last name of Grey. Hope Grey and Jasmine Grey both came into the rescue when we had other Hopes and Jamines. Adding Grey just seems to work.

Casey was hatched in 1997 or 1998 (I forget). He lived his whole life with one man, who passed away suddenly. The bird was taken in by a friend, but he eventually found his way to us. Casey did well in quarantine, but he never liked the main floor of the rescue. He was always nervous out there. In quarantine he used to let me hold him and he would even lay down on his back, in my hand. Once he got to them main floor, that changed. Too nervous, he would fly off. He flies with all the grace of a lopsided cannonball. He once flew off my arm and landed hard on the floor. He broke the tip of his beak. Casey never forgave me for that. I haven't been able to handle him since then.

Casey was adopted by Alan, one of our volunteers. Alan had a TAG for many years. Casey loves Alan, and we know that Casey will love Alan's quiet house.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:40 am

***ADOPTION***

Tico was adopted!

Tico is a mid-twenties Greenwing Macaw. She came to us with a Blue Crown Conure who has already been adopted. She has been with us since late last summer.

Tico is one of my favorites. Tico and Max were the two birds I would always take out. They would be on the java tree first thing. Female Greenwings seem to love me. Tico loves being with people and loves being out in the aviary. She loves to dance and likes to be held. She isn't quite as cuddly as some green wings are, but after a while she would always put her head on my chest, or rest her head under my chin. She also loved to lay in my hand (sometimes), and swing upside down from my hand. Tico wasn't with us that long, but she was already like a fixture in the rescue. Honestly, if it had not been for us having to put our adoption program on hold, she would have been gone a long time ago. I'll miss her so much, but she is going to a great family who is great with birds and who really loves her.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:42 am

This is me with Tico a few days before she left.

I didn't resize these pictures, so you may have to click on them to see all of them.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby alienlady » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:51 am

What wonderful news Navre ! Exceptionally good in fact. So happy to hear it :D . The photos are beautiful and everyone including the birds of course look so happy. Really has put a big smile on my face and a great feel good factor! :thumbsup: :D
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:23 am

Oh, WOW! Four birds finding a new home - great, great news!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:23 pm

Pajarita wrote:Oh, WOW! Four birds finding a new home - great, great news!

I figured we needed some good news around here.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic