Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Introductions

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Introductions

Postby MJJ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Hello all,

We have a lovely :amazon: named Franklin, who is 7 and doing well. We've had him (or her, we just picked one) since he was weaned. Unfortunately, we find ourselves at home less and less these days and wish to re-home him with more attentive parents. It seems this forum does not have a "for sale" category, and advertisements are prohibited, so the question is: Where do you guys recommend we post and/or advertise to find Frank a good home?

Thanks
MJJ
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: DY Amazon
Flight: No

Re: Introductions

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:49 pm

MJJ wrote:Hello all,

We have a lovely :amazon: named Franklin, who is 7 and doing well. We've had him (or her, we just picked one) since he was weaned. Unfortunately, we find ourselves at home less and less these days and wish to re-home him with more attentive parents. It seems this forum does not have a "for sale" category, and advertisements are prohibited, so the question is: Where do you guys recommend we post and/or advertise to find Frank a good home?

Thanks

Are there any Parrot rescues that might take him? You could also list him on your local rehoming page
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:50 am

www.rescueme.com gives a place to tell personalities, likes and dislikes. You can correspond with prospective new humans for your birdy.

Where are you. This forum does not allow buying and selling but rehoming is okay.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:31 am

Yes, rehoming is fine, it's the selling or bartering that it's not allowed. Why don't you post the general location of where you are (no need to give details but a town or a region within a state would work)? We have members that might be interested in adopting him/her. Aside from that, a good rescue (but make sure it IS a good rescue and not a flipper -lots of those call themselves rescues to get free birds so they can sell them) or, if you know how to do it right, use CL (I suggest you ask A LOT of questions and do a home inspection -you don't want him/her to end up in a hoarder, a collector or a breeder's home.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:29 am

MJJ, I wish everyone would put their general location in the info box to the left. My town is listed in the box. I have hopes that when I am gone the members of this forum, who already know my birds, will step up and take the birds that they think would do well in their homes.

You cannot buy or sell on this forum but there may be a member near you willing to pay a rehoming fee. I started a thread long ago titled REHOMING for that reason.

I took Rainbow from her last human without paying anything.
I paid a rehoming fee of $300 to get Myrtle. The fee was so low that I was afraid for her. I drove to SC to get her and just in time. She was about to be sold to a breeder.
Most of my Cockatiels were given to me by people who no longer wanted them or by rescues who could not take care of their special needs. The highest fee paid for a Cockatiel was $60. He is crippled and I just could not leave him.

Let us know your location and give us info on your bird's personality. He could be rehomed within the forum. You would be able to read the bragging and know that your bird is loved and cared for instead of flipped by someone outside the forum for profit.

http://www.rescueme.com is also a good location to find a home for him and charge a rehoming fee.
I worry about flippers and people who want parrots just for the sake of having an exotic pet but don't bother to read up and care for it properly.
Last edited by liz on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby alienlady » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:42 am

I agree , without your location we can't help you. We come from all over in here. We also need more details about the bird , you might find someone here who will take him you never know.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby liz » Tue May 02, 2017 6:51 am

MJJ posted a month ago. I am beginning to thick it was a scam. That person did not respond back.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby MJJ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:52 pm

Thank you all for the advice. I added my location, which I did not notice initially in the control panel. Also, it appears that notification to replies has a default setting of Off, so I never received notice of all your replies.

Yes, of course, we have researched local possibilities. We maintain a consistent presence on a large Bay Area want ads. I do tend to avoid advertising during holidays, as I don't want Franklin to fall victim to the Easter Bunny Effect.

With this in mind, and now knowing that it is acceptable to use this forum for rehoming with fee, I will probably post something later in January.

Franklin continues to do well, and I continue to feel guilty for leaving him to his own devices so often. There's no crisis here but I do still believe he would appreciate a more lively environment.

Thank you all again for your replies.

edit: Oh! Liz, your link to rescueme is a movie... TV show? Is that what you meant to do?
MJJ
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: DY Amazon
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:23 pm

No, she meant the rescue site: http://bird.rescueme.org/ But you should also try CL and Mickaboo. If you do the first, make sure that you ask A LOT of questions and that the prospective adopters have both experience [everybody wants a parrot but few know what they are getting into] and that they only work part time if at all [being at home should pretty much be a requisite for keeping a parrot]. Mickaboo is a good rescue, they only use fosters, pay for good medical care, and do a good screening process for the adopters [I know because I know somebody who fosters for them].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions