Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue

Postby liz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:28 am

yes
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Navre wrote:
Pajarita wrote:Oh, WOW! Four birds finding a new home - great, great news!

I figured we needed some good news around here.

Yes, indeed we do!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:32 pm

That's so, so wonderful.
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby Navre » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:41 am

I'm almost 100% in being able to tell if a bird is a male or a female. I don't always have an opinion, but when I do have one, I have only been wrong once.

Recently, someone took a Conure to the vet. She had adopted this bird from us. I forget why the bird had to have an X-ray or ultra sound, but the vets told her that the bird was a female. They based this on the pelvis and other factors in the physical exam. They had also taken blood and were doing the DNA, but they were confident that this bird was a female. I told the volunteer that the vets were wrong, the bird was a male. Everything in the bird's behavior and his preferences said male. I spent all spring and summer with the bird. I knew this bird was a male, but if the team of vets said female, maybe this was one of the times I was just wrong.

The DNA came back. The bird is a male.

The only time I was wrong was with a little Peach Front Conure, although looking back with what I know now, I should not have had an opinion one way or the other. He was too scared while he was at the rescue to demonstrate much sexual behavior. He was focused on survival.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Notgonnabeyourhero » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:04 pm

:hatching: I wanted my first post to be a bit more meaningful than some random comment on some random thread. I'm new to the parrot forums here, and also to the parrot world itself though I like to think I'm a lot more educated than I was before...

Anyways, I really appreciate all that you've done for the birds. I read this thread comment for comment from page 1 to here and decided my first post here would be to thank you and all the other volunteers everywhere that help save these animals. AND give them great homes. You've come quite a ways since you started at the rescue and it really does show. Truly an awesome topic and I wish only the BEST of luck to you, the rescue, and the birds there :thumbsup:

Keep up the great work, you are seriously an inspiration!
Call me Hero... or maybe not... ;P
Notgonnabeyourhero
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella Cockatoo
Flight: No

Postby Bird woman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:26 pm

That was very nice of you notgonnabeyourhero, navre is our hero and the birds champion! Nice to meet you on your first post . Please introduce your self in introductions and we love pictures and hearing all about your :cockatoo: I am a :cockatoo: lover really stuck on stupid with the species. But love all who come my way. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Navre » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Wolf wrote:
Navre wrote:I know I shouldn't get sad when a bird leaves the rescue. As much as people there love them, they really deserve a home. I just miss some of them when they're gone. Charlie not being there will leave a hole.

I don't know why you say this. I am always a little sad when a friend of mine goes away. It doesn't matter how long we have know each other or that the move is beneficial to my friend it still leaves an empty spot for a time. This is normal.

Wise words from Wolf, and exactly how I feel now that he is gone.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:12 pm

Notgonnabeyourhero wrote::hatching: I wanted my first post to be a bit more meaningful than some random comment on some random thread. I'm new to the parrot forums here, and also to the parrot world itself though I like to think I'm a lot more educated than I was before...

Anyways, I really appreciate all that you've done for the birds. I read this thread comment for comment from page 1 to here and decided my first post here would be to thank you and all the other volunteers everywhere that help save these animals. AND give them great homes. You've come quite a ways since you started at the rescue and it really does show. Truly an awesome topic and I wish only the BEST of luck to you, the rescue, and the birds there :thumbsup:

Keep up the great work, you are seriously an inspiration!

Thanks. I love being around the birds, although I feel that my lung issues may soon make me limit my time there.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:43 am

Navre wrote:I'm almost 100% in being able to tell if a bird is a male or a female. I don't always have an opinion, but when I do have one, I have only been wrong once.

Recently, someone took a Conure to the vet. She had adopted this bird from us. I forget why the bird had to have an X-ray or ultra sound, but the vets told her that the bird was a female. They based this on the pelvis and other factors in the physical exam. They had also taken blood and were doing the DNA, but they were confident that this bird was a female. I told the volunteer that the vets were wrong, the bird was a male. Everything in the bird's behavior and his preferences said male. I spent all spring and summer with the bird. I knew this bird was a male, but if the team of vets said female, maybe this was one of the times I was just wrong.

The DNA came back. The bird is a male.

The only time I was wrong was with a little Peach Front Conure, although looking back with what I know now, I should not have had an opinion one way or the other. He was too scared while he was at the rescue to demonstrate much sexual behavior. He was focused on survival.

Yes, the more exposed you are to them, the more you start, in a completely subliminal way, to accurately 'guess' their gender. I am sure it's actual physical and behavioral differences but, in most cases (at least if most people are like me in this), we can't even tell what it was that made us choose one gender over the other. I can even do it 100% of the time with baby canaries...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:49 pm

We had a single female cockatiel adopted. A threesome of cockatiels came in. I named them Jack, Chrissy, and Janet. After a while it looked like the male and one of the females were ganging up on the other female, so Chrissy was separated. She was just adopted by a woman with a bunch of cockatiels.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic