Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello Parrot Forum.

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello Parrot Forum.

Postby Chad » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:29 pm

Hello Forum mates!

My Name is Chad. I live in Northern Vermont. I am Parrot-less.

For the past few years now it has been on my mind that i think i want to share my life with a feathered friend. However being a life long commitment this is not a decision to take lightly, thus i have so far held back from adopting a bird.

I think i am in a place in my life where there wouldn't be any issues, i own my home and i have large empty room that would make a excellent bird room. I have a wonderful job where the bird could even come in with me for socialization or just hang out in my private office. But i am worried because i lack experience. When i was a child my family had 2 Budgies, that we adopted. These birds lived a wonderful and long life (lots of socialization, vet visits... they where a joy) . So i am aware of the tasks involved with taking care of birds in that sense, but that was so long ago. I have ever tried reaching out to My Local (and Vermont's only) avian rescue to see if i could volunteer to get some hands on expense with different bird types, however they have never replied to any of my posts, or messages.

So now i'm not sure what to do. I just bought Michael's book. I am very excited for it to come in! but other then that i feel like i am just kinda stuck and scared on making a decision.

Some other things about me. I have Degrees in mechanical engineering and business management. In the winter i enjoy Snowmobiling. In the summer i enjoy spending time near the water. Also this spring i will be finishing up my privates pilot licence, and i hope to continue to get more education and certifications in flying.

Thank you all for taking time to read my longggggg intro post. I look forward to getting to know you all. I am awestruck by all your amazing bird friends.
Chad
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello Parrot Forum.

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:58 pm

Welcome :)
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby stevesjk » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:12 pm

Welcome chad, all i can say is you're doing all the right things - not jumping in, researching, reading books and enquiring to look round a local sanctuary.

In my opinion if you feel like you're in a position to get a bird then hanging out at a few bird sanctuaries is the best thing you can do to see if you click with a bird because we can do all the research we want on different species and thats all well and good but in the end what really counts is how you click with an individual bird.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Bird woman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:41 pm

Hello from bird woman, yes Steve is so RIGHT finding a rescue is probably the best , smartest thing to do. Interacting with several birds over many visits will not only give you valuable experience but insight to many different species and the difference in them. Small birds , big birds , cuddly birds , independent one ? So many different to fit with different needs and expectations of us humans and I'm sure if you spend enough time at a sanctuary or rescue somebody will pick you. :lol: welcome to the world of our fids :thumbsup: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:46 pm

Welcome. Smart move doing your research first. I think knowing what you are getting yourself into and what to do in advance is worth way more than many years of (bad) experience. If you are destined to be one of the typical "get a bird, regret it, get rid of it," then you can save yourself a ton of money and trouble by researching and realizing to skip the whole mess all together by not getting a bird. On the other hand, you may realize that this really is for you. Then you will be prepared and make fewer of the beginner mistakes that end up forcing people to look for answers after they've screwed up and things are hard to fix. Good luck!
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby liz » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:01 am

Steve is right. Also by visiting or volunteering at a rescue or shelter you can meet the older orphans who have already grown their personalities. You can also get a backround or knowledge that has been picked up while they were in the shelter to know if you are a match.

Welcome and thank you for considering an adoption instead of a purchase.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:46 am

Welcome to the forum, Chad! I agree with all the previous posters, you are going about it the right way and I commend you for it!

I only found a single rescue in Vermont but, as I don't know where, exactly, in this state you are located, there might be more located nearby but in another state.

This is the one I found: http://www.featheredheartsavianrescue.com/

If they don't reply to your emails, call them on the phone or go in person. I ran a bird rescue for 6 years and worked full time with a dog and cat rescue and I can assure you that volunteers are ALWAYS needed, it's only that 99.99% of the time, a lot of requests for info go unanswered from lack of time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Chad » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:13 am

Thank you all for your kind words. I'm very excited to be a new member of this forum. I will contact the rescue again. If I'm tenacious I guess eventually they have to get me a reply. The feathered hearts avian reduce is the one near me! It's about 5 miles away, super close. I also live in a great spot I guess for accessing other states if need be. I live right on I 89 which makes quick work of getting to NH, MA, CT and I87 is just a tiny skip away so NYC area is just a short 6 hour drive! I know Albany has a rescue. I might try to contact them seeing how it's not too far away.

I'm so excited to be sharing this journey with you all and I promise I will keep you updated. I'm particularly excited to hear your ideas about bird room design when/ if the time comes.

Thank you for letting me join the flock :)
Chad
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Bird woman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:18 pm

I did a little checking on the rescue you've been trying to contact , might be a quicker way to talk to them on there face book page . They seem to stay up on it but not there web site too much. Just a thought . :D BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Rmoses » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:40 pm

Bird woman wrote:I did a little checking on the rescue you've been trying to contact , might be a quicker way to talk to them on there face book page . They seem to stay up on it but not there web site too much. Just a thought . :D BW

Did you see their terms? You pay four or five hundred dollars to get the bird but you never own it.
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Next

Return to Introductions