Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Repetitive Behaviour

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Repetitive Behaviour

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:24 pm

Pajarita wrote:Well, the beak knocking is common to virtually all parrot species - some more, some less but I think that they all do it at some point in time. I don't know about the body rotation thing... I know that the video you posted was titled as if that was a courtship behavior but I looked at a video of wild birds of the same species and the male did not do that -he was 'bowing' to the hen.

If he were mine, I would re-evaluate my entire husbandry starting with light quality/schedule and diet because these are Indian birds and they all consume little protein and a lot of plant material.

I moved him into the sitting room away from all the other birds so he has the cage all to himself and I will dim the lights as the sun starts to go down and then turn it off completely.He doesn't eat much protein foods and he loves Kale and Broccoli is a favourite too.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby Tman007 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:59 pm

When I put Axel on the table in frint of me he will tap his beak and raise his wings in the air.
I am working on capturing it so I can get him to do it on que.
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:37 am

I don't think that isolating him from the other birds and putting him in a human area is going to benefit him, Brandon. It wasn't the other birds that created the problem that derived into stereotypies -if that is what he has.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:30 pm

Pajarita wrote:I don't think that isolating him from the other birds and putting him in a human area is going to benefit him, Brandon. It wasn't the other birds that created the problem that derived into stereotypies -if that is what he has.

It already seems to be benefitting him, He still comes up during the day but he will have his own space to sleep earlier than they do.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:39 pm

Since Mango was moved downstairs the repetitive behaviour stopped completely, He is more calm and happy and has a great view by the living room window and he likes to watch the Tv and look out the window at the workers building, He is also a lot more active and I do want to get another Plum head to keep him company as I really don't think another bird could fill that spot for him and I think his repetitive behaviour looked very similar to a mating call.Also planning on getting an Aviary or two in the garden once all the building work is finished as they are working on all the gardens too replaced the grass with stone and then Mango could stay in the Aviary during the day when its warm hopefully with a new friend and Rocko and Loki could get out too.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:56 am

Thank you, Brandon, for bumping the thread and posting an update. I am real happy to hear that he is doing better and that you are going to try to get him a mate - I, like you, think this would be the best situation for him.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:17 am

Pajarita wrote:Thank you, Brandon, for bumping the thread and posting an update. I am real happy to hear that he is doing better and that you are going to try to get him a mate - I, like you, think this would be the best situation for him.

Of course some of us like to be able to touch our birds and interact with them but I do have Oscar that I can do all that with and sometimes the Cockatiels will come to interact with me but if Mango wants to be left alone he deserves to be happy and still given attention and while I cant give him attention all the time he could have a mate.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:46 am

And I bet you that if you do get him a mate and they bond, after a while, he will also (like the tiels) come and spend some time with you out of his own initiative. I have found that little aviary species not only do much better when they have a mate but they also kind of 'calm down' and feel more at ease with humans. I think it's because the chronic anxiety of being alone disappears and the human no longer demands more attention than they are ready to give so, after a while, they feel more predisposed to 'share' their happiness with everybody. At least, that has been my personal experience...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:06 am

Thats exactly what the Tiels are like, I would really love a Female I once went to the place I got Mango and thought I seen a Female but it was a baby Male and I am gonna message them and ask them if they can tell me whenever they get a Female so I can go right down and take her home as Plum heads don't last long there and they are hard to find anywhere else.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet