Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello Parrot Forum.

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello Parrot Forum.

Postby stevesjk » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:57 am

And you do hear of dodgy rescues and sanctuaries recalling for no reason which must be a bit of a worry
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Bird woman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:54 am

Rmoses wrote:
Bird woman wrote:I did a little checking on the rescue you've been trying to contact , might be a quicker way to talk to them on there face book page . They seem to stay up on it but not there web site too much. Just a thought . :D BW

Did you see their terms? You pay four or five hundred dollars to get the bird but you never own it.
. That is almost always standard procedure to keep people from flipping birds and for the birds safety so they don't keep getting passed around. They will almost always keep in contact for at least a year to make sure it's going to work out. I don't think we ever really own a bird , I think of it more like the adoption process that it is suppose to be , they should be part of the family and like adopting a kid . :D when I adopt a bird out I never charge anything but make them sign a contract stating that the bird comes back for any reason if they can't keep them or pay for any medical if the need should arise . If they break the contract there's big bucks involved and if the bird passes away they better produce a body. I've only had 1 problem and it went through litigation and I won and that's in 17 years. All the other birds that I've found homes for are still in contact and many have at least 2 birds and have turned into great friends. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:37 am

I think that BW is wrong because, as far as I know, it's not "almost always standard procedure", it IS standard procedure for all types of rescues (birds, dogs, cats, snakes, etc). And it's not true that rescues use this contract clause to collect money from people more than once for the same bird. Nobody wants the homeless animal to find a good home more than the rescuers! But the truth of the matter is that everybody can be fooled and, despite checking personal and vet references, interviews and home inspections, there are cases where the person who approved the adoption made a mistake and gave the animal to somebody who is not taking good care of it or decides to give it to somebody else that has not been through the process - thus, the clause. The only reason this clause is there is to protect the animal and not to make more money. The only ones that actually make money by 'adopting' animals out are flippers and they couldn't care less about the animal once they get their money - rescues are always in the red because they put more money into it than they get out.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:06 am

I think you need to reread my post pajirta. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Chad » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:27 pm

I know the local humane society has similar language when adopting a cat or dog. From the outside looking in, i guess it is just important to get to know the people at the rescue to understand them and develop a relationship with them so every one is on the same page, and has the best interest of the animal at heart.

I have now tried email, Facebook, and a voicemail to reach them. I polity asked if they had any volunteer or class type learning opportunity. I have not received a reply yet, but i'm going to give it a few days. If i don't hear back these wonderful people are 3 hours away.

http://www.rescueparrots.org/

It will be harder but i them seem a bit more active with fundraising effort and such. Maybe they will let me come on down hang out with some birds, and teach me some things.
Chad
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Bird woman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:38 pm

I really admire your persistence and dedication. Wish you were close to my neck of the woods :D I can always use a hand and although I'm not a 501 c and do things different when adopting out a bird I would love to find more interested dedicated people like you. :thumbsup: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Chad » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:22 pm

So I have great news! They have gotten back to me. They don't have any volunteers opportunities but they will work with me one on one with parrot care, with the goal of letting me foster a bird.
Chad
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby stevesjk » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:26 am

With birds we have what is known as the honeymoon period.

That means that when they go to a new home they are on best behaviour because the surroundings and humans are different and what you see may not be what you get down the road.

It can take 3 months or even longer before the birds true personality reveals itself so if you're fostering a bird to see if you're a match before agreeing to adopt i would take this into consideration.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Bird woman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:02 am

I have a few that thinks the honeymoon period is longer ,buddy my bare eye is just now coming into his own and really ramping it up in the personality department. :lol: honestly he's quite entertaining as well as being interactive. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:12 am

Bird woman wrote:I think you need to reread my post pajirta. BW

No, I understood and agreed with what you were saying. I was just commenting on the 'almost always' because, in my personal experience, there is no 'almost' to it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions