Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Are all Umbrella Cockatoos Cuddly?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Are all Umbrella Cockatoos Cuddly?

Postby Skye » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:31 am

I am a new mother to an Umbrella Cockatoo. She is very cuddly and demanding of everyone's attention. Almost a lap bird!! She sets on mine and my husbands chest and loves to be petted!! We were wondering if this is typical for the species?

I'm not complaining, because I love her to death!! I enjoy such a cuddly bird. Thanks for the responses!! :cockatoo:
Skye
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella Cockatoo
Flight: No

Re: Are all Umbrella Cockatoos Cuddly?

Postby Navre » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:21 am

They are generally pretty cuddly and very needy. They are super sweet. Just make sure you only touch her on the head. You don't want any more hormones than necessary.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Skye » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Thank you for your reply! I have since read a lot about petting her and hormones!! I appreciate you responding! Do you have a bird that interacts with your Cockatoo? Or do you solely keep her occupied!
Skye
Parrotlet

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:10 pm

Skye wrote:Thank you for your reply! I have since read a lot about petting her and hormones!! I appreciate you responding! Do you have a bird that interacts with your Cockatoo? Or do you solely keep her occupied!

He doesn't have a Cockatoo, None of my birds interact with each other they stick with their own species or human.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Yes, they are all very cuddly and HIGHLY needy (and that's the number one reason why they are given up for adoption all the time).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Cockatoos are sweet and cuddly and very demanding but I wouldn't trade my fids for anything. I have several and they do interact with each other and some don't like each other. I give mine lots to do and plenty of toys and there out of there cages most of the day, pretty much like a birdie daycare. :lol: They need to be on a proper light and sleep schedule, get plenty fresh veggies and fruit added to there diet and lots of run and sunshine time. They also can be a little nippy , loud , demanding at times , especially during cockatoo frisky season which is right now at least where I'm at. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Skye » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:27 am

I've really learned a lot and appreciate all the great responses!! Thank you!
Skye
Parrotlet

Return to Parrot Species