Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New conure person

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: New conure person

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:01 am

Oh, boy, yes, you really hit the jackpot with those two! I love it when my birds bond to another one! I have found that it does not take anything away from their love for me and having a companion/mate 24/7/365 does wonders for them so it's always a win-win situation!

John (Navre) is right about the little huts, some birds do chew on them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Bird woman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:29 pm

Not always a win win remember the Huey and Mathew horror show :lol: were still making sequels to the movie. :violin:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Feistychick » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:06 pm

I will definitely look into buying the sea grass mats and see if I can talk them into giving up their snuggle hut. They haven't chewed it at all - but why tempt fate? Besides, I love shopping for the little brats :). I haven't heard of safebirdstore, but am excited to find another place to get stuff for them.

I definitely intend to leave them flighted - I read up on it before I got them and I completely agree that it could be detrimental to their well-being to clip wings (I think they've always been flighted, but don't know for sure). They love the freedom - when we get home from work and let them out they do a full house circuit flight! Since we have no kids and don't get many visitors, there's not much risk of doors/windows being left open or anything like that.

I think I'm pretty lucky with these two - they were being re-homed and the person was willing to transport them half-way to us (we each drove a few hours). I had not met the birds in advance, so I'm grateful that they seem to love us and have good dispositions. I suspect that Tango is going through, or coming to the end of puberty at 18 months (which may explain why he was so bitey and has been improving).

I recently picked up a bird scale so that I can keep an eye on their weight - is there a good place to reference to find out a good weight for conures to maintain?
Feistychick
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Sun conure, Green cheek conure

Postby Navre » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:45 pm

My Greencheek is 70 grams and healthy, while my friend's Greencheek is 90 grams and healthy. It will be more important to keep track and look for changes.

A good vet will be able to tell you if the weight is a concern.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:41 am

My vet in NC told me if the breast bone is odvious then they are too skinny. If it dips in and cause a crease they are too fat.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Feistychick » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:11 am

I haven't weighed them yet, but neither feels skinny or overweight. This weekend I'll have to see if they'll stand on the scale perch so I can find out what they actually weigh. I'll be curious what the vet says too, when I eventually get them in (the avian vet that I want to take them to is taking some time off).
Feistychick
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Sun conure, Green cheek conure

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:24 am

Bird woman wrote:Not always a win win remember the Huey and Mathew horror show :lol: were still making sequels to the movie. :violin:

I do remember but, in my personal opinion, this happened because of too many hormones combined with the fact that they had just met one another, there is always an adjustment period but I think that they will do great by fall. Some birds are more difficult than others, and the large ones have the added problem of their size which makes them be dangerous even when they don't want to be - I have to be extra careful with the amazons during breeding season, too, but I still would not consider separating them. The little ones are easier, especially if they are already bonded.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Introductions