Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I finally have my new Senegal Parrot

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: I finally have my new Senegal Parrot

Postby PatrickAlan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:21 am

Another Update ..... This morning JoJo had his first taste of CHOP for breakfast, and he is loving this stuff bigtime. I'm delighted, as he will be getting it on a regular basis.
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby stevesjk » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:06 am

Introduce him to as much as possible while hes young.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:45 am

I haven't been here lately, Patrick, so I missed this whole conversation but you got the right advice: they do need to be ON us, especially when they are babies and juveniles (as yours is). And, YAAYYY on the chop!!! The more produce they eat (both in quantity AND variety), the healthier he will be and a healthy parrot is a happy parrot! :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby PatrickAlan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:55 pm

Well, so far, I have discovered which vegetables JoJo likes and which ones he does not like ......
He likes corn A lot! He likes Red Pepper a lot too, he loves Green beans, and seems to enjoy Peas
as well. He likes his fruit too....Apples and Pears and Grapes in particular, but I limit the amount
of fruit and how often he gets it, as it does give him loose droppings. I like to watch him eat so I
can see what he likes and doesn't like. He likes his fruit too .... Apples, Pears and Grapes, but I
do limit the amount of fruit he gets and how often, as it does cause loose droppings.
He does get his "Out-of-Cage" time a few times each day. He enjoys sitting on my shoulder.
His tabletop perch has arrived and that is great, because he can be out on his perch on the desk
while I'm on the computer. So far things are going well . . . I'm enjoy watching him explore and grow and bond with me.
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:51 am

Sounds like everything is going great, Patrick! Try blueberries, blackberries and pomegranate seeds (all extremely nutritious and loved by every single parrot I have).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby PatrickAlan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:37 am

Hi Pajarita ----- good to hear from you. Well yes, things are going well with JoJo. She gets Fresh vegetables and fruit every Morning for Breakfast, including blueberries. However, I find that after
I give her her Breakfast, she likes to poop in her food cup. Arghhh! So I have to clean out the cup and start all over again ........But she is adorable, loves me to death, likes to play with her toys, takes a nap every afternoon, takes a bath, and is a really good eater. Loves all her veggies and fruit!
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:01 am

My African Redbelly male also poops in his food bowl. He likes to use it as his roosting perch at night but, as he only does it at night and I take all the bowls out at dawn when I open their cages for them to come out, it's no big deal. He also needs a bigger cage and I am working on that (large, good cages are expensive so I have no choice but to pace myself in buying them). But Jojo might be pooping there because of the placement of the bowl in the cage. Have you tried moving it or moving the perches?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby alienlady » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:03 am

What more could you ask ?
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby PatrickAlan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:52 am

alienlady wrote:What more could you ask ?

Huh? What do you mean "What more could you ask?".......
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Postby PatrickAlan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:54 am

Pajarita wrote:My African Redbelly male also poops in his food bowl. He likes to use it as his roosting perch at night but, as he only does it at night and I take all the bowls out at dawn when I open their cages for them to come out, it's no big deal. He also needs a bigger cage and I am working on that (large, good cages are expensive so I have no choice but to pace myself in buying them). But Jojo might be pooping there because of the placement of the bowl in the cage. Have you tried moving it or moving the perches?

JoJo is in a cage where the food dishes are attached to a bracket with a door that you open to swing out the food dishes to empty or fill --- so No, the food dishes can not be moved. She eats sitting on her food dish.

So Now, as recommended, I take out the food cup first thing in the morning, and wait for her to Poop before putting back the food cup with her Breakfast. So far it is working .....
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species