Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rambo &Myrtle update

Postby Bird woman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:06 pm

I thought I was the only one getting free piercings these days. :shock: misery loves company , Nigel's on a roll this week as Riki laid 2 eggs and let him pretend he was the dad. :lol:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:16 am

This is rare. She has bit me 3 times over the 6 years that I have had her. Each time was because she was scared. 2 of those times I really cannot call bites. She was grabbing my hand to use it as leverage to get out of a situation she had gotten into.

Of course there was one bloody day when she attacked and bit me many times. I am not sure what that was. It could have been jelousy because Rainbow was getting attention that she thought was hers. She was ok the next day.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:28 am

It's because they are still in breeding season, Liz. And, when they are hormonal, it's like they can't control their emotions -or maybe it's more like a short fuse, especially amazons and cockatoos.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:30 pm

I'll tell you I'm seriously thinking about going back to square one with Nigel , back to one on one in the quarantine room. Start fresh without any hens throwing there 2 cents in the mix or my husband. This biting is purely out of aggression and it takes him one minute to snap. We can be dancing or playing and he can be the sweetest little thing and if a bird comes into the room he doesn't like or if you move something the wrong way , just about anything he will start with the Mohawk straight in the air , head twisting a couple wing flips and it's on! Not much you can do but get out of the way. :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:36 pm

Pajarita wrote:It's because they are still in breeding season, Liz. And, when they are hormonal, it's like they can't control their emotions -or maybe it's more like a short fuse, especially amazons and cockatoos.

Myrtle is not showing signs of being hormonal. She went through it last year and was the biggest cuddle bug I ever saw. She does not like my hand above her but last year she came to me for head scratches then changed back afterwards. She is not showing the signs she did last year.

Rainbow is full blown hormonal I can't go in the room without her running to me. The awful noises she makes is outrageous. Then Myrtle sympathizes and makes the same noise. She did not make that noise when she was hormonal. I think she is just skipping it this year.

My birds have proven to be as strange as me. Tammy left Shadow and went back to Tommy after 2 years. Now it is Shadows turn to follow them around. It is pitiful that Tammy just doesn't go ahead and take two mates. I think getting a female Latino would work out the situation but I have not had the concentration to search for one that needs me.
Maggie and Andy are nesting without laying eggs. They are sitting on the fake ones I gave them. I found another nest with eggs and replaced them. Flutter, my bad boy, is sitting on them by himself.
It has to be that this stuff goes on in wild flocks. Surely they did not all come up on this on there own.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:39 pm

Bird woman wrote:I'll tell you I'm seriously thinking about going back to square one with Nigel , back to one on one in the quarantine room. Start fresh without any hens throwing there 2 cents in the mix or my husband. This biting is purely out of aggression and it takes him one minute to snap. We can be dancing or playing and he can be the sweetest little thing and if a bird comes into the room he doesn't like or if you move something the wrong way , just about anything he will start with the Mohawk straight in the air , head twisting a couple wing flips and it's on! Not much you can do but get out of the way. :lol: BW

That sounds hormonal and you just have to wait it out.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:14 pm

Bird woman wrote:I thought I was the only one getting free piercings these days. :shock: misery loves company , Nigel's on a roll this week as Riki laid 2 eggs and let him pretend he was the dad. :lol:

I use a black coffee can lid and put a small hole in the middle. Shining a flashlight under it lets me know if it is fertile or not.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:25 am

Louise has stepped up twice now. I am pushing her to step up and then she will stay on my finger for a minute or so. Then I put her down to teach her that step up will not hurt her. Tommy is the only one in the flock that will still step up. He does it to get kisses. So it is a big deal. The others watch and I hope they pick up on it. They have no fear of landing on me but still do not want my hands near them unless they are just walking across them to get to the food I put down.

My daughter said she would clean the cockatiel room but she has been saying that for a few months now. She did do some work on it but did it wrong. Instead of washing the walls she sanded them to be painted. That makes it much longer that the Tiels will not be there. I have told her that I can only find half at a time. I don't know where the others are sitting except for Maggie and Tammy. She is dragging her feet as usual and messing things up again.

We have had warm sunny days so the Amazons have been going outside a lot. They talk to Jake the boxer and he does not feel alone as bad anymore. I need to motivate screening in the deck so they can be outside in it.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:07 am

Why do you think that the baby is a female, Liz? Or is that you are hoping it's a female?
Painting four walls can be done in a couple of hours if you use a good quality paint with primer already mixed in, can't Rachel or your son do it one morning now that the weather is nice and you can leave the windows open for quick drying? I have to say that I kind of agree with Rachel, painting is much easier and looks so much nicer than just washing...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:32 am

I am hoping Louise is a girl. I do have he back up name of Louis if she turns out to be a boy.

What paint is the safest? I have been thinking of kid's room paint.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care