Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot Rescue gets grant!

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Parrot Rescue gets grant!

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:35 pm

This is article about the Iowa Parrot rescue and what they will do with the $50,000 grant they got from the DJ&T Foundation to upgrade their birds housing. The best part of this story is the fact that a parrot rescue got such a wonderful grant! I don't know of any other rescue which has gotten one ( they always have to make do with private donations) so the fact that this happened indicates a heightened awareness of the plight of parrots in captivity and their rescues! Great news!!!

http://globegazette.com/news/state-and- ... 9fdf2.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrot Rescue gets grant!

Postby DanaandPod » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:40 pm

The Rhode Island rescue could sure use a grant. After taking in over a hundred parrots in horrific conditions from a CT hoarder a year ago.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby liz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:08 am

They need to set up a "Go Fund Me" account. Then announce it in critter forums.

People of the lower middle class and even the edge of poverty level would donate even if it was $5 a month. Those $5s would add up once it gets on a roll. I know I would. To many it is just ridiculous to write a check for $5 but would do it on line bill pay.

Something emotional has kept me from going to church for many years now. I send my tithe by on line banking to the TV ministers who teach me. My 10% is set on auto bill pay and is taken out of my account on the 3rd of the month. I would be able to make small payments to GO Fund Me.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:09 am

We have dome the GoFundMe thing a few times. People have been generous. I think they want to keep from hitting up the same people over and over.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:13 am

They did this giving grid thing, too.

https://www.givinggrid.com/ripr/?rc=

I don't know why it won't take donations anymore. It must have expired.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:23 am

The link is bad, Paj. I'll try to find the story. It's good news for sure.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:14 am

It's because it's a newspaper. They just don't keep the articles up forever... Here is another link about it that is still up: http://muscatinejournal.com/news/local/ ... f3cf7.html

Has your rescue applied for a grant, John? There aren't that many for bird rescues but I would imagine it's just a matter of applying to every single one that gives to dog and cat rescues and convince them of the need, no? This one was from the Bob Barker Foundation...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:37 pm

I missed that it was a post from last October. I do remember reading that story. I believe they have applied for many grants. Most are smaller. I think we have gotten a few.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:26 pm

I do automatic bill pay for my tithe and life insurance right off the top before paying other bills once a month. I would gladly start with and every month $5 in hopes my finances change so I can do more. Loosing $5 for a good cause will not hurt me. I just regret I can not do more at this time.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Housing