Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rambo &Myrtle update

Postby alienlady » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:10 am

When my son was little he chose a cockatiel for himself. He called her Jenny because she was a pretty girl in his mind. Jenny became Johnny shortly afterwards, the strange thing was that for the rest of his life he kept asking where's Jenny gone ? :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:52 am

:lol: And that's why it's always better to call them 'unisex' names of names like Louis can be changed to Louise without 'traumatizing' the bird.

Liz, just look at the can label and, if it says "ZERO VOS" the paint is fine. I use Behr, sold in Home Depot.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Pajarita wrote::lol: And that's why it's always better to call them 'unisex' names of names like Louis can be changed to Louise without 'traumatizing' the bird.

Liz, just look at the can label and, if it says "ZERO VOS" the paint is fine. I use Behr, sold in Home Depot.

Birds are so visual. If you're going to paint them, make sure to paint them the same color they were before.

I applied to be the guy who paints the painted buntings, but they never got back to me.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Pajarita wrote::lol: And that's why it's always better to call them 'unisex' names of names like Louis can be changed to Louise without 'traumatizing' the bird.

Thank you.

I isn't that it would be so traumatizing as it will be difficult to change the name once she is mixed in the flock. I am trying to teach her the name now while she is just with Phoenix. I named the un named cockatiels while they were still in quarantine.
Last edited by liz on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby liz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm

I am having trouble with Rambo and Rainbow. He and she gets mixed up a lot.

Navre it is a good thing you told me. I was going to paint each wall a different bright color.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Navre » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:53 am

liz wrote:I am having trouble with Rambo and Rainbow. He and she gets mixed up a lot.

Navre it is a good thing you told me. I was going to paint each wall a different bright color.

That was supposed to be a joke! Like you were going to paint the birds. :)
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:22 am

I believed you. I have levftover paint from Rachel's projects. She buys a gallon and uses a quart. I thought I would use a different color for each wall to give the Tiels something new to look at. That with their light should be exciting to them.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:48 am

liz wrote:I believed you. I have levftover paint from Rachel's projects. She buys a gallon and uses a quart. I thought I would use a different color for each wall to give the Tiels something new to look at. That with their light should be exciting to them.

I used to paint the birdroom yellow because it's the 'happy' color but I now decided that greens are better.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:53 am

I thought about yellow first. Then I decided to give them more color and paint each wall a different bright color. There is a little alcove in that room that I was going to paint red.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:41 am

I would not use red, Liz. Light reflects off the walls and changes the color of the light itself and red brings them into breeding condition while blue 'dampens' it - and that's why I painted the ceiling blue in the birdroom.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care