Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

African Ringneck Breeding

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

African Ringneck Breeding

Postby Ygmu99 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:27 am

How long does it usually take for African Ringnecks to be bonded? I introduces my female to the male three weeks ago. I put a nesting box in the cage, but they wouldnt go inside it. So I put millet spray inside the box with a bit of the millet spray sticking out and they finally went inside of the cage. Sometimes the go in usually the male by himself goes in there the female I have only seen her inside once or twice. I also started givig them more calcium and have changed there diet so that they get more and healthier food. Should I give them boiled eggs? I heard its bad for them. I know the breed during the winter and spring. Do you guys think I can get a cluth this spring? What other things can I do to encourage breeding?
Ygmu99
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Ringneck Parakeet
Flight: Yes

Re: African Ringneck Breeding

Postby liz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:49 am

They are still on their first date.

If you know so little about them why are you wanting them to breed?

I have single male and female Cockatiels in my flock. They are friends but don't want to get married.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:51 am

Welcome to the forum! I doubt anybody here can help you because there are no breeders - we are just bird keepers and lovers. I breed canaries (which are nothing like parrots because they are promiscuous and don't mate for life) but, going by them, you need to wait until they reach the age of sexual activity which is later than when they go through puberty (you don't say how old your birds are but they would need to be, at least, 3 or 4 years old). And you also need to start conditioning before breeding season (you seem to have waited until now which is too late). I do know that psittaculas are short day breeders and, if they breed when other short day breeders do (like cockatoos, grays, etc), it's a bit too late for them to start now (my CAG is on her second clutch right now). Aside from all that, parrots don't mate-bond in three weeks, it takes them a loooong time (usually, from one year to the next). And yes, eggs are bad for birds.

With all due respect (I don't mean to offend you), you don't seem to have enough knowledge to breed them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Ygmu99 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Ringneck parrots also don't mate for life so i daught it'll take a whole year for them to "bond." I have bred budgies, but never African Ringnecks so I was just lookin to see if anyone hear had any tips. My birds are sexually mature they are three years old. My male has a dark ring around his neck and has blue on the back of his neck which shows he is mature. The female doesn't have a ring as females don't get one, but the breeder i baught her from said she was 3 years old (I trust this breeder a lot.) I waited untill now because I read that it was better to put in the a nest box in the cage now because if I put it in during winter there might be problem such as egg binding. So I just waited till now was that a bad idea? As for the food when I baught the female the breeder said she was ready to breed as the breeder had been preparing her to breed. I know it may be to early as only three weeks have passed, and I know ARN's only breed during this time, so will I have to wait till next year than? And yes I don't know a lot about breeding this parrots as this is my first time, all my knowledge i have acquired from reading articles from multpile sources, and breeding budgies. I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips, hey theres gotta be a first time.

P.s
I do not wish make money out of this birds.
Ygmu99
Parrotlet

Postby stevesjk » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Please research the homless parrot problem throughout the uk and us before going ahead with breeding. If you're not planning on keeping the offspring then please reconsider

If you have the room and you actually planned on keeping the offspring why dont you reconsider and fill that space with a rescue or two instead.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Ygmu99 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Yes I am aware of the feral parrots specially the ringnecks in England. And yes I have space for the babies and the money to take good care of them. I would adopt but I really want to hand rais a baby parrot or prrots. And adoption seems to be yoo much hassle. I tried adopting once but the process was too long.
Ygmu99
Parrotlet

Postby stevesjk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:58 am

When i said homeless parrots i meant the ones given up to rescues not the escaped pets that survive in the wild.

Its great that you can take care of the babies when they are adults, its best to only breed if you are going to keep the young.

Are you prepared with syringes, formula and an incubator for when the mother rejects one? Also the waking up every 2 hours throughout the night to feed it.

In addition to the above, lots of parrots have been known to turn on the person that raised them because you're seen as the parent and they want to move on, thats why some parrots do better in their second home because you've tricked the mind into thinking its left the parent and its now found a mate (the second owner)

I know someone who was a very loving pet owner but they had no choice but to give up the baby parrot they raised because it was viciously attacking them when let out of its cage. The second owner never had any issues because in the parrots mind it had left the parent and found a mate.
stevesjk
Conure

Postby liz » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:47 am

liz wrote:They are still on their first date.

If you know so little about them why are you wanting them to breed?

I have single male and female Cockatiels in my flock. They are friends but don't want to get married.

I was meaning even though you have a male and female it does not mean that they will mate. They are just like humans and have to want to be mated. They may become friends like my cockatiels are doing and not mate.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:01 am

Ygmu99 wrote:Ringneck parrots also don't mate for life so i daught it'll take a whole year for them to "bond." I have bred budgies, but never African Ringnecks so I was just lookin to see if anyone hear had any tips. My birds are sexually mature they are three years old. My male has a dark ring around his neck and has blue on the back of his neck which shows he is mature. The female doesn't have a ring as females don't get one, but the breeder i baught her from said she was 3 years old (I trust this breeder a lot.) I waited untill now because I read that it was better to put in the a nest box in the cage now because if I put it in during winter there might be problem such as egg binding. So I just waited till now was that a bad idea? As for the food when I baught the female the breeder said she was ready to breed as the breeder had been preparing her to breed. I know it may be to early as only three weeks have passed, and I know ARN's only breed during this time, so will I have to wait till next year than? And yes I don't know a lot about breeding this parrots as this is my first time, all my knowledge i have acquired from reading articles from multpile sources, and breeding budgies. I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips, hey theres gotta be a first time.

P.s
I do not wish make money out of this birds.

To tell you the truth, I am not sure if I believe that IRNs don't mate for life. I have seen many times the 'they have different mates throughout their lives' but I've never found a single report from a reputable source that, having observed a banded flock for a number of years, stated this unequivocally. The thing is that one cannot use the behavior of parrots in captivity to determine these things because, in captivity, they have no large pool of individuals to choose from so I have often seen pairs that having been alone all their lives, have bonded with each other but, once they join a flock, they split up and get new mates -and this with birds that are supposed to mate for life! So, is this something that was observed by breeders who, not realizing that captivity does not provide natural behaviors, reached a wrong conclusion? Or is it true and it does, indeed, happen the same way in the wild? I don't know. What I do know is that breeders put their pairs together way before they are supposed to breed and don't allow them to even see other birds - which is not natural at all because they are highly social birds.

At three years of age, they should be mature enough but I have read that, in the wild, they start breeding when they are 3 to 4 years old so it might be a bit too early for them.

Also, they are short-day breeders so they start producing sexual hormones in January and breeding in Februray and March although there have been cases when they do it in April so I think it's too late for them this year (my short day breeders are on their second clutch already).

You can't really call breeding budgies having experience and I am not trying to put you down with this but budgies will breed under the worst conditions and keep on doing it (even when the babies come out all deformed) until the mother dies from depletion or eggbinding. They are easier to breed than canaries - and that's saying a mouthful!

Now, a word of caution and I hope you don't take this the wrong way as I am only saying this out of concern and based on my own experience. We ALL think we are going to be able to take care of all the babies forever but, going by rehoming statistics, almost none of us do so I recommend you think about this breeding business very, very, very carefully because there is a huge overpopulation of parrots and this is because there are very, very, very few good 'forever' homes for them. Also, the species you chose is not the best for keeping a number of them together (they require expert and very long and very regular handling or they 'revert'). I think you will end up with a bunch of wild and unmanageable parrots which will be VERY difficult to rehome as hardly anybody would want a psittacula that has reverted...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:12 am

Can you commit to multiple parrots for 50 years? Housing them, splitting them up if they dont get on? Seperating them if ill etc etc so much to consider. By the way, what happened to your budgies?
stevesjk
Conure

Next

Return to Introductions