Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Orphaned squirrels

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Orphaned squirrels

Postby liz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:24 am

You have the old problem of how to let them go.

I would bring in anything I could find from the area that you think they could be released into. Let them know what is out there. Even with trying to release the first one he was like fly paper and would not go.
When he finally decided that he would explore with the other squirrels I still kept a feeder full for days when he wanted to eat but not have to find his own.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:34 am

Bird woman wrote:Ever thought about having a rescue zoo? Jeeeeeeze and I thought I had a lot on my plate. :thumbsup: My hats off to you for all the critters you care for. :D BW

A childhood friend of one of one of my daughters says that I am the Mother Theresa of the animal world but I told her that I am more like the Mother Sucker of everybody who finds or has an animal that needs caring for :lol: I just got an email from the guy who owns this little dog that I was boarding for free for months asking me to take care of him AGAIN because the neighbors called the police while he was working at night because the dog cried and barked :cry: so much when he wasn't there. Of course I said yes but I am going to let him have it because I warned him the little guy was NOT going to be happy being all by himself for hours and hours after he had been here for months and months with company all the time, playing with the other dogs, sleeping curled up next to me under the covers, etc! People are SOOOO selfish when it comes to animals! They want the company and love they bring but don't care if the poor thing is happy or not...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:42 am

liz wrote:You have the old problem of how to let them go.

I would bring in anything I could find from the area that you think they could be released into. Let them know what is out there. Even with trying to release the first one he was like fly paper and would not go.
When he finally decided that he would explore with the other squirrels I still kept a feeder full for days when he wanted to eat but not have to find his own.

I tell you, Liz, I have been thinking and thinking and I don't know how I am going to manage because I can't put them out and just leave them there and I can't keep on going some place far away back and forth every day until they get used to it! I really don't know what I am going to do...

A question: how did you manage to make them go the bathroom for number two regularly? Chip went twice (second time today) but Dale went only once since they've been here even though I massage their belly and their booties - and they are now eating much more than they did when they first came. I added a tiny bit of olive oil to their formula this morning to see if it helps...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Have you thought about a little pro-biotic or unflavored organic yougart ? Just a thought :D
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Mine didn't have that problem. I designed a big cage that gave them a lot of room to bounce around and burn energy.

After having so much trouble making the first one move out I took Fran, the second one, to a wildlife rehabber who already had 14. I kept her until she did not need her bottle. I hated to give her up but I had learned my lesson. She was so pretty and lady like with silky fur. Only females were in the cage because males got rough early. These little girls were so active that their fur was ruffled. In 15 minutes I could not tell which one was Fran.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:16 am

Bird woman wrote:Have you thought about a little pro-biotic or unflavored organic yougart ? Just a thought :D

I don't think the problem is a lack of intestinal flora but more a matter of them getting puppy formula PLUS, as much as I do my best to stimulate them into 'going', I am sure I am not doing it as well as a momma squirrel... But the olive oil worked because they both went No. 2 this morning :danicing:

And, yes, I am thinking of taking them to a rehabber that lives near a forest or something like that...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby alienlady » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Just keep them Pajarita , you know you want to :lol: :lol:
A friend of mine has a regular squirrel visitor who knocks on her kitchen window if she is late putting out food . She hid from him to see what he would do and when he could see she wasn't in the kitchen, he went to her door and knocked :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Bird woman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Remember that skunk baby from last year, well shunkie is grown now , hangs with the cat and plays around my feet in the early mornings when I'm watering . Had to buy special cat food cause she eats the hell out of it. When I leave for work in the dark she is always running around the front waiting to scare the hell out of me and some day I know it's coming. :o but she never was allowed in the house so has learned to dig up my flower beds and the lawn looking for bugs and worms .Oh the life of nurturing :roll: she's still wild enough to have a normal skunk life and I would expect she will breed this season and hopefully take the baby's to a more rural and secluded part of the property. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:17 pm

I am glad the oil worked.

Back in the dark ages when I lived on top of a mountain I did not know puppy milk existed. My Dad's Airdale kept bringing my 4 year old daughter baby rabbits. No fur and their eyes closed they finally totaled 8. I went to the pantry and put every kind of grain I had in a pot and boiled it. I gave the juice to the bunnies and it worked. I basically cut out the middle man (their mom) and fed them the juice of what she would eat.

There was plenty of room to let them loose but the Airdale would have just brought them back. I turned them loose on a very big farm after I fed them the clover and other things to eat. They liked being held but as soon as I put them down they were off and running to their wild life.

I would never keep a critter who was meant to be wild and free unless he was handicapped or something that he could not care for himself.

In the city limits of Archdale in NC I caught an adult Canadian goose that was not acting like the others. I did not know what was wrong but I knew something was. I caught her by dropping a large laundry basket on her then slowly rolling the basket over with a sheet on the top. I took her to zoo rehab. I had stopped volunteering so just handed her over. (It was fishing line embedded in each leg) They had her a couple months and she became so tame that she came when they called. I took her back to where her flock was but they were not there. She stood beside me for the longest time just looking. It was like she was trying to accept that she was not imagining her home. When a goose honked at the distance she honked back, looked at me and flew a large circle in the air before going in the direction of the others.

Oh and when summer sat in and things were growing, all 15 little girl squirrels were released together like a family.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:11 am

:lol: Of course I want to keep them, Alienlady! But, as I told my kids and now tell my grandkids: In life, we don't do what we WANT to do but what we HAVE to do - so, if I can find a safe environment, they will be released because a natural life is what is best for them.

Patti, I would love for them to stick around but it's too dangerous for them (lots of cars and people out on the street and I have a feral cat colony coming twice a day to eat in the backyard and my dogs are maniacs when it comes to running little creatures).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic