Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Vegan

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Vegan

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:48 pm

I decided to go Vegan!! Ive been doing research and watching documentaries actually watching one right now and literally started crying watching those poor animals suffer, I knew meat wasn't very good for Parrots but I didn't know it had bad effects on humans too, I also know our teeth were very different years ago which means we could evolve as a lot of people seem to be going Vegan.Oscar has never eaten meat in his life and never will and I know it wont be easy transitioning as I love cheese and Burgers and Chocolate.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Vegan

Postby Bird woman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:07 pm

:o I'm going to give you some unsolicited advise Brandon , my husband watched those same horrible movies and vowed the same action as you . Vegan 101 after 3 years with the soy and nutritional yeast , beans , veggies , all the right stuff as I am no slouch in the cooking department and have much knowledge of proper nutrition, well he ended up on the hospital front entrance unable to move in excruciating pain and passing or trying to pass kidney stones the size of peas that had to be surgically removed . The Dr. Had suggested this was pretty common in the vegan world as well as high &acid levels. A good balanced diet with paying attention where your meat or poltury comes from or eating fish is a better choice and a lot easier than going pure vegan. Anyway he eats fish and chicken now and stays away from to much soy and no problem. AND EVEN IN THE VEGAN WORLD THERE IS PURE CHOCOLATE. REALLY WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT IT. :lol:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:23 pm

Eggs and milk for cheese will be produced without killing animals. If you get it from a local farmer.
Egg farms force the chickens to lay twice a day. Dairy farms feed too much grain to make the cows produce more milk. Some of those cows are dragging on the ground.

I don't know where you are but some cities allow "city chickens". No roosters.

I don't eat veal. I know what the poor calves go through just so humans can have pale veal.
I don't approve of the care given to baby chicks in chick farms. They are just thrown into boxes.
I will never again eat Butter Ball products. They have been reported twice for animal abuse.

I was raised on a small farm. My dad took excellent care of the critters. Our beef cows were treated with respect and consideration. When time to butcher my Dad would walk the cow to a certain tree away from other animals. He talked to them and kept them calm all the way. Dad was really good at not scaring the animal and could knock it out with one hit. The cow went from being loved to not knowing anything.

We had one cow, Suzie Bell, who would produce 6 gallons of milk a day with just grass and a little grain while she was being milked. The neighbors bought the milk and eggs from us so they would know what they were getting.

If we had too many eggs the dogs and cats got scrambled eggs. If we had too much milk they got that too. Excess of that went to the chickens.

You just need to know where your food comes from.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:17 am

I know I still wouldn't be a healthy person, I would still eat a lot of junk food suitable for Vegans.I just don't think I could ever look at meat the same again and I never eat meat except from restaurants such as Burger King and they have used horse meat in the past and admitted it.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby liz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:01 am

I named one of the calves Charley. When he grew up and it was time for him to be butchered I could not eat beef. My mother had to by ground beef and show me the package or I would not eat it. I knew where meat came from but I just could not eat Charley.

When I was 8 I came home from school and my parents were killing and putting my chickens in the freezer. I named and played with those chickens. I was too old and had never thrown a tantrum so it took all I had to throw the biggest tantrum ever done. I was lucky that they did not get my favorite chicken and she eventually died of old age.
I did not each chicken again until I was 44. I was in the hospital for many weeks and all they gave me was chicken and fish so I had to start eating it again.
My son was wondering the other day why he did not eat chicken until he was in his twenties. If I didn't eat it I wasn't going to feed it to them.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:33 am

I think it's a hugely laudable goal but, in my personal opinion, it's unhealthy, impractical and unnecessary. I tried to go vegetarian (so I was eating eggs and all milk products) and ended up with a severe vit B12 deficiency which I have never been able to 'shake off' ever since (I take daily supplements and require shots periodically).

It's unhealthy because humans evolved to be omnivorous and any other kind of diet is simply not healthy enough for our bodies.

It's impractical because you need A LOT of knowledge, money and skills to be able to eat a satisfying diet while vegan - PLUS, no matter what you do, you still end up using stuff that was achieved through animal suffering (it's not only in the food industry that this happens, you know?).

It's unnecessary because you can eat animal products that did not require cruelty. That's what I do. I only buy food that has been certified 'Humane' - my eggs are from pastured, vegetarian hens, for example. And I don't eat that much meat (no veal or pork) but I do eat chicken, turkey and beef from a farm in Pennsylvania that specializes in raising their animals naturally and killing them humanely. The way I look at it is that, as long as the animal had a normal life and did not suffer when it was killed, it's OK. Of course, the meat is much more expensive but I don't need that much meat anyway...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:17 pm

I have been vegetarian for over 40 years and not planning on changing . I love animals and I don't want to eat them it's that simple. I don't force my opinions on others though, if friends eat meat then I will cook it but never for myself. Is there a throwing up icon ? :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby liz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:30 pm

My sister likes veal but I am horrified at the name veal. When we go out to eat she always mentions when there is veal on the menu. Then she orders something else.

I also do not eat wild critters. Venison is a deer that has had to take care of himself for his whole life. No one fed it. No one cared for it if it got sick. If it was injured it had to heal on it's own.
I would have to be very close to starvation before I could ever swallow a wild thing.

In WV my Dad's property went to the PA line. He only had 12 acres but treated it like a big farm. He had a horse with the cows. Every time it was hunting season in PA the horse would get company. My Dad would put extra feed out for the visiting deer so they would not be tempted to go over the line. WV had hunting season next. The farmer on the PA side of the line left some of his corn standing in the field after every harvest for what ever creature was hungry.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:56 pm

Pajarita wrote:I think it's a hugely laudable goal but, in my personal opinion, it's unhealthy, impractical and unnecessary. I tried to go vegetarian (so I was eating eggs and all milk products) and ended up with a severe vit B12 deficiency which I have never been able to 'shake off' ever since (I take daily supplements and require shots periodically).

It's unhealthy because humans evolved to be omnivorous and any other kind of diet is simply not healthy enough for our bodies.

It's impractical because you need A LOT of knowledge, money and skills to be able to eat a satisfying diet while vegan - PLUS, no matter what you do, you still end up using stuff that was achieved through animal suffering (it's not only in the food industry that this happens, you know?).

It's unnecessary because you can eat animal products that did not require cruelty. That's what I do. I only buy food that has been certified 'Humane' - my eggs are from pastured, vegetarian hens, for example. And I don't eat that much meat (no veal or pork) but I do eat chicken, turkey and beef from a farm in Pennsylvania that specializes in raising their animals naturally and killing them humanely. The way I look at it is that, as long as the animal had a normal life and did not suffer when it was killed, it's OK. Of course, the meat is much more expensive but I don't need that much meat anyway...

My mam got a B12 deficiency just because she wasn't eating enough Red meat, I couldn't really watch where my meat is coming from unless I was buying it myself though I never eat meat anyways other than from places such as Burger King or McDonalds, The only animal products I mostly consume is Milk in cereal and Cheese on burgers so basically just dairy products.I honestly don't think I even have a diet lol I just eat whatever I like I'm sure I'm probably lacking a lot of vitamins.I suppose I could try it and see how long I last.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:23 am

alienlady wrote:I have been vegetarian for over 40 years and not planning on changing . I love animals and I don't want to eat them it's that simple. I don't force my opinions on others though, if friends eat meat then I will cook it but never for myself. Is there a throwing up icon ? :lol:

I think that doing it for over 40 years and still be healthy is a HUGE accomplishment, Alienlady! I was born and raised in a country where, if you don't have beef for lunch and dinner, you are not eating - but their saving grace is that cattle is raised the old fashioned way, out there eating grass and drinking from streams so it's lean and healthy (not that this means they don't suffer at human hands, mind you!). But I was never a big meat eater so I did not really miss it when I went vegetarian - I still cooked meat because my husband is a meat and potatoes or pasta kind of guy but I did not eat it. So I was doing good - only my body wasn't doing so good and after a couple of years of the B12 deficiency (I was also anemic), my doctor put his foot down and forbid me to continue so now I eat some meat but only the 'humane certified' kind.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet