Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rambo &Myrtle update

Postby Bird woman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:48 am

I didn't know that , what other info do you have on color do's and don'ts ???
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:35 am

Thank you Pajarita.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:10 pm

Bird woman wrote:I didn't know that , what other info do you have on color do's and don'ts ???

Sorry but that's about it. It has to do with experiments done on chickens and the color of the light they are exposed to (which has to do with the Ktemp that 'produces' that light) - we don't have anything done with parrots but chickens, as messed up as they are as a domesticated species, are as photoperiodic as any other bird so...

This what they found on the studies (I am using bits and pieces, not the whole thing):

"Some previous research indicated that blue light had stress-relieving and growth-promoting properties in chickens, but there were concerns over whether visual information was missed by the chickens under light of a single wavelength. In addition, other studies found that red light had a promotional effect on egg production, leaving a confusing picture over the most effective light to use.

Birds have different light perception systems to humans, as they are able to see into the UV range as well as our visible spectrum, and they also have light-sensing receptors in locations other than the eyes. The light information received by the birds' brains is important for regulating metabolism and the immune system via changes in hormone levels."

But, when they did pretty much the same test on ducks, they found the opposite!

"The ducks reared under blue lights fared worse in terms of body weight than those under red and white lights, at every age measured.
Although the birds had similar carcass yields, those reared under the blue lights had a lower percentage of breast meat and a higher percentage of skin and fat in the carcass compared with ducks reared under red and white light.
The increased activity and observed increased corticosone hormone levels in the ducks under the blue lights suggested increased stress levels in these birds, the authors said. This shows that blue light may have the opposite effect in ducks to in broilers, as broilers responded to blue light with increased growth and reduced stress.
The scientists suggested that these increased stress levels may have caused the reduction in carcass quality seen in the ducks reared under blue lights.
The authors conjectured that the increased stress blue light may be down to the fact that ducks tend to use blue plumage as signals of reproductive strength during the mating season. Chickens and turkeys, on the other hand, use red pigments to show their social hierarchy. This evolutionary difference may also account for the different responses seen to light colour in broiler and layer (male and female) chickens"

So, as we don't really know which light is better for parrots, I only recommend lights that are smack in the middle in terms of Ktemp (and color), namely between 5000 and 5500.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:50 pm

After extensive and exhaustive study, taken at considerable expense, we are pleased to inform you that we have no idea. Also, your taxes are due in 3 days. Thank you for your continued support.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Bird woman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:04 pm

NO THERE NOT, WHEN DUE ON A WEEKEND IT GOES TO THE NEXT MONDAY BUT THATS SOME KIND OF HOLIDAY OR SOMETHING SO THERE NOT DUE UNTIL 18TH. YOUR TRYIN TO SCARE EVERYONE. :lol: :b: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So I can or can not paint the bird room crazy colors ? BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:16 am

Navre wrote:
liz wrote:I am having trouble with Rambo and Rainbow. He and she gets mixed up a lot.

Navre it is a good thing you told me. I was going to paint each wall a different bright color.

That was supposed to be a joke! Like you were going to paint the birds. :)

Navre was poking fun at me. He was saying if I paint the birds they should all be the same color.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:24 am

No, Liz, he was not making fun of you, he was making a joke on the fact that the studies showed that chickens reacted one way and ducks reacted the opposite way so, in reality, we do NOT know how parrots react to different color lights. And he is right! We don't. And that's why I use the closest to 'white' light and painted the walls in shades of green ('cause I figured that green should be OK as they evolved to live in trees).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Bird woman wrote:NO THERE NOT, WHEN DUE ON A WEEKEND IT GOES TO THE NEXT MONDAY BUT THATS SOME KIND OF HOLIDAY OR SOMETHING SO THERE NOT DUE UNTIL 18TH. YOUR TRYIN TO SCARE EVERYONE. :lol: :b: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So I can or can not paint the bird room crazy colors ? BW

This thread is getting weird. Navre is pulling funnies on us.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Bird woman wrote:NO THERE NOT, WHEN DUE ON A WEEKEND IT GOES TO THE NEXT MONDAY BUT THATS SOME KIND OF HOLIDAY OR SOMETHING SO THERE NOT DUE UNTIL 18TH. YOUR TRYIN TO SCARE EVERYONE. :lol: :b: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So I can or can not paint the bird room crazy colors ? BW

This thread is getting weird. Navre is pulling funnies on us.

I don't know how I posted that twice.

I have a 12 by 12 room that I decided to make as my activity room. The Amazons have adjusted to being in the bathroom with their outside balcony. I've decided that that room would be big enough for them to play in and protect the rest of the house from getting chewed up even more. As my activity room I will be in there a lot with them. I will have to cover my computer when I leave the room and hide and pens or pencils that I am using.
Charles is already working on a plan for their outside space.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:07 am

I have decided and purchased a bright yellow and a bright green paint that has the label that Pajarita said is the best. Two walls will be yellow and two will be green.
The base boards suffered in that room so we took them off. I will replace them with non treated wood so they can chew them up safely. I will do the same in the activity room. My son is also going to put a screen door with cage wire on that room to protect the rest of the house.
After being in the bathroom for so long they will enjoy a 12X12 room that I will share with them. I will let them loose to fly and walk each evening before serving their supper.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care