Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My Dad Wants to Build Outside Aviary

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

My Dad Wants to Build Outside Aviary

Postby Georginia » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:31 am

So I have two male Budgies who are currently living indoors together in a cage. However, recently my dad suggested that we build a large outdoor aviary for the birds, and maybe consider adding a couple more. I think the main reason he suggested that was because everyone in my family (except me) complains about how loud my birds are, and I've got to admit, I think they are unusually loud for Budgies, but I don't mind their noise. So I think he just wants them out of the house and outside. While I agree it would create a more natural environment for them, me and my mom have concerns about weather and predators, and I would just really miss them being inside. Someone on another website suggested that I move them outside and just buy another parrot to keep me company inside, but I find that wrong to basically replace them. I know my dad also has by birds' well being in his mind, you know, he thinks it'll give them a more natural environment, and yes, I agree. But I am also concerned about the dangers outside. Living in Florida, it can get actually quite hot in the Summer, but this last Winter (actually it was more after Winter), it got surprisingly cold. Plus, in our state we can get pretty bad rainstorms and thunderstorms. I just don't know what would be best for them. Plus, my dad loves building things and I think he was excited to possibly be building something like an aviary, and I'd hate to take that excitement away from him. I'm just so stuck on what to do! :(
I currently have two male Budgies, whom I love very much! I hope to soon expand my bird family and adopt more loving feathered friends into my home!
Georginia
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies/Parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: My Dad Wants to Build Outside Aviary

Postby liz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:07 am

I have already forgotten what state you are in.

Most of us know exactly how you feel. I do. There is no use to have a pet unless you can bring it in a pet it. I can't believe that they make so much noise that it bothers your parents.
My
It is a long story but I have been living with my son since December. My Cockatiels are quite happy to trash my son's guestroom. They have their own 10X12 room in my house and my son put cage wire on the window so I can let them get fresh air without being picked off by preditors. I wanted an outdoor aviary for them but with so many I would never be able to get them all back in before dark.

Rainbow and Myrtle have been living in the main bathroom here. They have a window and I spend a lot of time with them but it is not as good as being free flight in the house. In Rainbow's case, free walk. My son lifted and put a large cage, strong enough to prevent preditors, attached to the outside of their window. Though it is only big enough to sit in the sun they are happier. Amazons are really noisy. No the whole neighborhood has to put up with their racket. They love being able to go out the window and sit in the sun. We have a boxer, enclosed in a horse field outside. His mother had cancer and had to be put down so he was alone. The Amazons yell and him and give him some enrichment.

The outside cage has worked and now my son understands what kind of aviary I want for my birds. Someone in here posted a picture of a large outside cage built right up against a window so his birds can go out when they want. (I need to find that picture again.)

This would work for you. You can close your budgies out in good weather and let them back in at night to sleep. They will be so busy outside that it would quiet them a little for when you bring them in. You can open the window any time to bring them in to play. When the weather is bad just leave the window open large enough in case they want to go out and play in the rain.

If anyone remembers who posted the picture of the attached aviary and where the picture is, please repost so I can show my son.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Bird woman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:39 am

There are lots of pictures on the net , just google out door avairy pictures and blue prints . Always use bird safe building materials. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:10 am

Predators grab budgies through the bars. You have to make a double aviary. One for the birds on the inside and then a cheaper material one around it in the outside. Owls, hawks, snakes, etc snatch budgies when they hang on the bars.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:12 pm

Michael is 100% correct. They are small and often would hang on to the bars of the cage, especially if you have only one or two pairs (in my personal experience, the smallest a flock can be is three pairs). But his recommendation is the perfect solution and I will go one further, make the second 'layer', the one that is closest to the birds, with stainless steel mosquito netting. This will serve three purposes: 1) the double layer prevents the predators from killing them through the 'holes' of the mesh - 2) you need stainless steel because galvanized wire gives them metal poisoning and, although you can find SS wire mesh, you need to buy an entire roll (expensive) so by getting the easily available SS mosquito screen material in the inside and the cheaper galvanized 'chicken' wire on the outside, you would be saving money while making it 100% safe in terms of metal poisoning and 3) you need to prevent insects that carry disease from getting to them so you would still need the mosquito screen.

Weather is always a problem with outdoor aviaries but if you build it attached to the house with one wall on one side and half a roof over it, you would take care of the greatest majority of weather problems and provide them shade for the noon sun (way too strong for them!). Of course, you would have to bring them in if there is a tropical storm or gets too cold (always check what temperature it'll be at night because there can be a big difference between the day and night)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:44 am

I always have to have all my critters in or I can't sleep. The furrys know what time it is and will all come in at 9 pm. Even the cats do. Rainbow starts saying "nite nite" around 7:30.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby alienlady » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:32 am

I once lost all my female budgies from my aviary. It turned out to be someone stealing birds to sell at a bird market, so be aware that animals aren't the only predators.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 am

Oh, yes, Alienlady is 100% correct! Another danger to outdoor aviaries is people stealing the birds (I was just reading about another bird robbery done exactly like that!).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:04 am

There were a lot of house burglaries here last year, where the only things taken were African greys!
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:56 pm

I forget the species now but I think they were some kind of conure and it happened in the UK, too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Housing