Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Opinions on nutraberrys

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Opinions on nutraberrys

Postby Bird woman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:03 pm

My AVAIN vet is a stanch advocate for Harrison's and I've been dealing with him for 17 years on these rescues. Now over the years of seeing the poor blood work and condition some , really most of these birds came to me in , he is really rethinking his stand on my home cooking program for the fids. He has witnessed many times over the years birds that he told me wouldn't make it and they are healthy and happy and turned around in record time with proper diet and vet care. Mathew the macaw is one of them. In several months of intense care last month at his check-up he said he would not even have recognized the bird as being the same one if he didn't know better. That's a good feeling. Some of this was due to pajirtas extensive knowledge and suggestions on things to do with a holistic approach in mind . Thank you for sharing :thumbsup: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:43 am

I admire avian vets that have changed their outlook on pellets! It must be hard for a professional to admit that they might have been wrong all along but, in their defense, nobody knew nothing about parrot nutrition so they were going by what the manufacturers were claiming (Harrison's pellets being a notch up from what they used to have before because it was organic) - and the fact that they were selling the pellets and making a profit on them did not hurt, either ;) . I had an avian vet that actually asked me to put together a special gloop for her cockatoo with PDD after seeing how the birds that came to my rescue got so much better with the fresh food diet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:46 am

Wow, an avian vet who actually keeps birds.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby alienlady » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:51 am

stevesjk wrote:Wow, an avian vet who actually keeps birds.

:lol: :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:51 am

Actually and VERY unfortunately, Alienlady, it's not a joke. I don't know in the UK but here in USA is VERY rare to find an avian vet that has any hands-on experience with birds! If you ask them, you will find that most of them have dogs and/or cats but I've only known two that actually had parrots. Sheesh, even the two avian vets I knew that were also professors of Avian Medicine never had any! And that's another reason why I would not ask an avian vet anything about diet or behavior - because they have no way of knowing anything about these two subjects...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:04 pm

Pajarita wrote:Actually and VERY unfortunately, Alienlady, it's not a joke. I don't know in the UK but here in USA is VERY rare to find an avian vet that has any hands-on experience with birds! If you ask them, you will find that most of them have dogs and/or cats but I've only known two that actually had parrots. Sheesh, even the two avian vets I knew that were also professors of Avian Medicine never had any! And that's another reason why I would not ask an avian vet anything about diet or behavior - because they have no way of knowing anything about these two subjects...

I'm amused because it's typical. I know some vets without pets, midwives and child health and social workers who are childless.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby PatrickAlan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:43 am

My Avian Veterinarian does infact have Parrots ........... :D
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:00 pm

That's great, Patrick! And, in my personal experience, the vets that do have birds are usually the better ones!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby PatrickAlan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:53 pm

My Vet is big on a Pelleted diet. My finches have refused. I'm slowly introducing Roudybush to my Senegal by starting her off on Nutri-berries, with the Pellets underneath in her food bowl. She does love her fresh foods though for Breakfast. It's such a good learning experience. I have found that I never stop learning something new when it comes to Parrot ownership.
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Yes, unfortunately for the birds, most avian vets recommend pellets... But, if I were you, I would do more research about your choice because roudybush pellets have soy oil (as well as soybean meal) which has been found to be linked to obesity, diabetes AND liver damage (see this: http://drcate.com/study-soy-oil-promote ... er-damage/).

Plus, if you look at the ingredients you will see that they are made of dry corn, wheat, peanuts and soybean - all animal feed grade (low quality) mixed with lab made vitamins and minerals. Personally, I would much rather feed good quality and fresh (and cheaper!).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet