Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I'm Wanting To Get Another Budgie, Would This Cage Work?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

I'm Wanting To Get Another Budgie, Would This Cage Work?

Postby Georginia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:29 am

So, I've decided I want to maybe get another Budgie, possibly. Hopefully the noise level won't go up much more, lol! Anyways, I was maybe wanting to house the Budgie by herself in a separate cage from my two male Budgies. I found a pretty decent sized cage for a cheap price. It's bigger than the minimum cage size for one Budgie length-wise, as it's 30 (l) x 18 (w) x 18 (h), in inches. It's only $40, so it's a pretty good deal. I may upgrade the size later in life, but this would be a nice "starter" cage for a couple years or months. Would this be a good cage for one Budgie and lots of toys, in your opinion? Or should I go bigger? I'm just looking to spend a small amount of money, if possible on my new bird. I would be willing to spend more on the bird, if need be, however. Thanks! :budgie:
I currently have two male Budgies, whom I love very much! I hope to soon expand my bird family and adopt more loving feathered friends into my home!
Georginia
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies/Parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: I'm Wanting To Get Another Budgie, Would This Cage Work?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:01 am

I am sorry to be the party pooper but three budgies is not recommended. For some particular reason, three never works out in budgies - not in the long run, anyway. You would be MUCH better off if you got two females so they can both have a girlfriend. And I would not worry about a cage for a single bird because you are going to need a flight one (budgies need more room than a larger species because they are very flighty).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Georginia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Pajarita wrote:I am sorry to be the party pooper but three budgies is not recommended. For some particular reason, three never works out in budgies - not in the long run, anyway. You would be MUCH better off if you got two females so they can both have a girlfriend. And I would not worry about a cage for a single bird because you are going to need a flight one (budgies need more room than a larger species because they are very flighty).

Pajarita, I was not wanting another Buudgie so my two male Budgies could have a 'girlfriend' if that's what you mean. I was just wanting to house the new Budgie on her own, if possible. I would definitely NOT want to house males and females together, as I do not want to breed. Sorry if I'm not understanding what you're saying right, I'm a bit confused.
I currently have two male Budgies, whom I love very much! I hope to soon expand my bird family and adopt more loving feathered friends into my home!
Georginia
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies/Parakeets

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:38 pm

Georginia wrote:
Pajarita wrote:I am sorry to be the party pooper but three budgies is not recommended. For some particular reason, three never works out in budgies - not in the long run, anyway. You would be MUCH better off if you got two females so they can both have a girlfriend. And I would not worry about a cage for a single bird because you are going to need a flight one (budgies need more room than a larger species because they are very flighty).

Pajarita, I was not wanting another Buudgie so my two male Budgies could have a 'girlfriend' if that's what you mean. I was just wanting to house the new Budgie on her own, if possible. I would definitely NOT want to house males and females together, as I do not want to breed. Sorry if I'm not understanding what you're saying right, I'm a bit confused.

They wont necessarily breed unless given a nest box though its not guaranteed
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:52 am

Georginia wrote:

Well, the thing is that budgies are VERY flock oriented so keeping one separate from the others will not be kind to it (it's going to spend its entire life trying to join the other two and suffering from not been able to do it). As to breeding... I know that most people dread their female birds laying eggs but, if you think about it, it IS not only the most natural thing in the world but what nature decreed would be their main objective in life (preservation of the species) so I actually encourage my birds to get mates and, although I do NOT believe in breeding parrots to be used as human pets, I do allow them to go through all the motions (courtship, nest building, laying, incubating) only no babies come out of the eggs because I either switch the real eggs with fake ones (you can buy them online) or hardboil the real eggs and put them back once they are cool (my lovebird pair is sitting on hardboiled eggs right now). Budgies are highly opportunistic breeders and would lay eggs even under bad conditions so you have to be vigilant with their diet and their light schedule but I had a flock or almost 40 of them and I only had a single 'eggcident' in 6 years. This pair made a nest by digging a burrow in the dirt of one of the spider plants I had in the birdroom (I hanged three of them from the ceiling for them to eat) and I never noticed anything until I saw several of them going in and out (the young 'bachelors' were helping the parents feed the babies) so I got a ladder to see what they were doing there and discovered three babies :shock: That's how I learned that if you see a budgie carrying a beakful of dirt, you need to check where she is digging because she is making a nest!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet