Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Where do you put your Parrot when it's out of the Cage?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Where do you put your Parrot when it's out of the Cage?

Postby PatrickAlan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:16 pm

When I take my Senegal out of the cage, chances are she ends up on my finger, and gradually climbs up my arm to my Shoulder. . . . . I've never been comfortable with having a Parrot on my shoulder.
I just don't really like having a Parrot bite my earlobes, or climb up my eyeglasses. No, Thank You!

So, even though I have a "Percher" my Senegal will stay on it for about 60-seconds before she attempts to Fly off .....and ends up on the floor. It's a real dilemma.

Any suggestions please ?
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Where do you put your Parrot when it's out of the Cage?

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:38 pm

I have multiple birds that just sit around but Oscar plays on the bed or sits on his boing swing talking or playing and goes outdoors too (Parks, Long walks etc)
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby alienlady » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:13 am

Mine spends most of her time on me. She has a playgym she also goes to and on other occasions she will sit on top of the door or her cage top.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 am

Patrick, aside from the fact that she is a baby and all babies require close contact regardless of the species, senegals are shoulder birds and not allowing her on your shoulder is not going to work out for her or for you. You say you don't want a bird biting your earlobes but I might as well tell you that the best way to teach her this is to keep her away from you because she will grow up disaffected and, as soon as she reaches her sexual maturity and becomes more self-assured, she will bite you.

Keeping a parrot as a pet implies adapting to what they need and want. Some species are more independent and easier than others. Brandon mentions his Oscar on a perch, the bed or whatever but that's because Oscar is an amazon and they are perch potatoes and more independent than other species but senegals are neither. With parrots, it's not what we prefer as it is with cats or dogs, it's what they prefer or pay the price for it and, unfortunately, there is no substitute for a shoulder...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:00 pm

Patrick I thought you had overcome this fear of a bird on your shoulder? I do my housework with Liseth on my shoulder and it's where she spends 95% of the time. The other time she is playing . When she sits on the door it is in order for her to see me when she isn't allowed in the kitchen because I'm cooking.
It really isn't a question of where do you put your bird when out of the cage, because the bird belongs with you and will make that clear to you.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby PatrickAlan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:04 pm

alienlady wrote:Patrick I thought you had overcome this fear of a bird on your shoulder? I do my housework with Liseth on my shoulder and it's where she spends 95% of the time. The other time she is playing . When she sits on the door it is in order for her to see me when she isn't allowed in the kitchen because I'm cooking.
It really isn't a question of where do you put your bird when out of the cage, because the bird belongs with you and will make that clear to you.

You have an Amazon Parrot, and I have a Senegal. I, for one, would not want an Amazon on my shoulder. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I really don't like being bit, and for some odd and strange, weird reason, 'JoJo' just likes to bite me when she's on my shoulder. I have no FEAR of a bird on my shoulder, I just prefer not to be bitten. Call me Crazy!
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:14 pm

PatrickAlan wrote:
alienlady wrote:Patrick I thought you had overcome this fear of a bird on your shoulder? I do my housework with Liseth on my shoulder and it's where she spends 95% of the time. The other time she is playing . When she sits on the door it is in order for her to see me when she isn't allowed in the kitchen because I'm cooking.

You have an Amazon Parrot, and I have a Senegal. I, for one, would not want an Amazon on my shoulder. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I really don't like being bit, and for some odd and strange, weird reason, 'JoJo' just likes to bite me when she's on my shoulder. I have no FEAR of a bird on my shoulder, I just prefer not to be bitten. Call me Crazy!

Oscar doesn't bite but I feel uncomfortable with large birds on my shoulder, Its probably the weight lol
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:53 pm

Outside of the bird room, I have different bird stands strategically placed around my home for the birds to go on. This both keeps the parrots off of my furniture and keeps poop and mess where I'd expect it. They will spend time on my but they will also go back to their perches to poop, rest, or play.

I use a combination of Training Perches:

Tabletop Perches:

Window Perch:

and Climbing Tree:

Since they are made of the same kind of NU Perch as the parrots have in their cages, they all recognize them immediately. It's a complete system of perches for parrots to both enjoy, be comfortable on, and stay on instead of going on people stuff. I started out just making this stuff for myself but because it drew a lot of interest, I've made it available for sale on ParrotWizard.com.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby alienlady » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:41 am

Patrick I obviously misread the situation, I do apologise.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby liz » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:09 am

The first word anything learns to under stand is "no", I say it calmly so as not to upset the bird but they learn the word no right away. Of course your bird can say it too.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Next

Return to General Parrot Care