Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Need confirmation

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Need confirmation

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:58 pm

I wanna share this to my group, I don't know much about this subject but will read more about it and I'm just asking if those of you who know about all this can confirm if this is accurate information to share.Thanks
https://dspace.library.uu.nl/bitstream/ ... sequence=1
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Need confirmation

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:38 am

It's pretty accurate. I did not read it with outmost care (I used speed-reading) but it looked OK to me except for a couple of things:
1) stress bars are not always what they picture there, black lines are also stress bars.
2) black feathers can be caused both by malnutrition AND stress.
3) the red feathers in the gray are attributed only to PBFD but they can also be plucked feathers that grew back red.
4) the feather discoloration (where they show the red-suffused lovebird) is attributed to a generic malnutrition when, in reality, it's a direct consequence of liver disease so the 'cure' (a pelleted diet) would not have cured it.
5) the only canaries that get feather cysts from 'soft' plumage are the ones that were not bred correctly (you can't breed a hard feather to a hard feather or a soft feather to a soft feather, you can only breed soft to hard)
6) Polyoma is not the only cause of French molt, pox does it, too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Need confirmation

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:51 am

Pajarita wrote:It's pretty accurate. I did not read it with outmost care (I used speed-reading) but it looked OK to me except for a couple of things:
1) stress bars are not always what they picture there, black lines are also stress bars.
2) black feathers can be caused both by malnutrition AND stress.
3) the red feathers in the gray are attributed only to PBFD but they can also be plucked feathers that grew back red.
4) the feather discoloration (where they show the red-suffused lovebird) is attributed to a generic malnutrition when, in reality, it's a direct consequence of liver disease so the 'cure' (a pelleted diet) would not have cured it.
5) the only canaries that get feather cysts from 'soft' plumage are the ones that were not bred correctly (you can't breed a hard feather to a hard feather or a soft feather to a soft feather, you can only breed soft to hard)
6) Polyoma is not the only cause of French molt, pox does it, too.

Thanks ill quote what you said :)
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet